bisoprolol.....feeling worse

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was put on 2.5mg after suffering possible svt. Since taking it I can't shift the uncomfortable chest tightness & pressure,  like someone is sitting on it. It has stopped the palpitations though. After my gp finally listened & consulted a dr at the hospital I was told it was likely the svt was getting worse. I was then given 2.5mg twice a day. That was a week ago & for the past 3 days I've felt awful. Ecgs are all fine, pulse abit high & blood pressure fine. Even had a paramedic out this morning as I felt so dizzy & weak along with the chest pain. 

Gp has now put me down to 1.5mg twice a day & just told me to up it if I need to. I feel like a zombie just want to sleep all the time, feel weak & just generally terrible.

I've neen moaning since I had these tablets that i thought they were the problem but they won't take me off them. I'd rather have the svt attacks as they weren't too bad before. 

Does anyone else feel the same & worse since taking them??

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask your doctor about 'Ivabradine' which is for patients intolerant to 'beta blockers'. I can only tolerate 1.25mg of 'Bisoprolol'. Beta Blockers are very good at protecting the heart but they knock the life out of you.
    • Posted

I'll try the 1.5mg & if it sets the palpitations off I'm coming off them. Horrible things, need a nap an hour after I've got up & the gp tells me to carry on like normal...wish I could!!
  • Posted

Horrible side effects. Depression, fatigue, nightmares, weight gain, headache, memory loss, shivers cold hands and feet. Tiredness is the most difficult part.
    • Posted

Nightmares & tiredness are my biggest problems. Also breathlessness & the pain in my chest apparently are also side effects. Wish I'd never gone on them
  • Posted

Hi Vikki!

Your symptoms are just as mine were when I was on 2.5mg of bisoprolol.  Just like you, I felt dreadful even though the ECG was normal and the heart rate low (too low, in fact, at 48bpm).  The chest pains got so bad that I rang 111 and an ambulance arrived to take me to A and E.  All I got there was an instruction to get a referral to a cardiologist as the ECG was again normal.

I refused to take any more of the bisopralol and am now on propranolol, 40mg per day which is the equivalent dose to the 2.5mg of bisopralol.  I feel much better, though still have mild zombie like feelings, nightmares, some breathlessness, etc.  I have noticed an increase in what I call 'dropped beats' on this medication, though the tachycardia seems well controlled.

Why not ask your gp for propranolol to see if it improves your side effects?  If not this, there are drugs called calcium channel blockers which are the next to try if all beta blockers give you bad side effects.  Must google the medicine mentioned in your first response here, I haven't heard of that.  

Let us know how you go on and good luck with finding the right medication for you.

• Posted

Thanks Pam

Funnily enough my little girl was on propranolol for a haemangioma when she was a baby & never had a problem with her on that. Will keep that in mind.

The paramedic had no idea what to suggest as medically there was nothing serious showing up. 

Roll on cardio appointment

• Posted

Hello Vikki, sorry you are having a bad time. I am on 10 mgs Bisoprolol and have been for over a year. I used to take my tablet first thing in the morning and about an hour later would feel as if I had been hit by a truck. Then I read that its best to take it on a full stomach to slow down the absorbtion rate. I now take it on top of a good breakfast and it made a huge difference. I still dont like the stuff and generally feel ropey in the mornings but it really has helped. I dont know if this may help you, I hope so and that you are feeling much better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks I'm not usually one for breakfast but I will definitely try it. I'm the same & take it after a cup of tea in the morning. I've been waking up feeling like I've been run over hoping the meds will alleviate it but it doesn't.  

I'm hoping tomorrow I'll try & have a 'normal' day with my daughter & try to ignore it all. Need to pick myself up & get on with it

• Posted

I have been on 2.5 for 2 years have put on a stone in weight, fell dizzy most of the day, contantly tired etc, I hate them! My hubby is on double that dose and has no symptoms at all.
  • Posted

Hi vikki I had the same symptoms as you weeks of feeling worse than ever, also had paramedic out thought I was a goner could not breath which put me into a panic attack, I was on 5 mg a day now off all meds thankfully, hearts gone back into normal best really glad to be off the bisopradol I think the general opinion of this med is all bad cannot offer any advice but the best of luck with your meds 
    • Posted

Well after taking only 1 of the lower dosage I woke up feeling better. My chest still hurts but not as bad. Still feel tired but my daughter decided to get up at 5:40 rolleyes

I really hope that the palpitations in tge beginning were just a one off so I can get off these things. Everyone hates them, but the drs keep pushing them. They won't listen to me about it just keep messing about with the dosage. Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this thought I was going mad. 

• Posted

I think they are pushed so much because they are one of the cheaper drugs, this is what I was told about a year ago.
  • Posted

Ivabradine with no side effects (maybe blurry vision sometimes) is £1.46 per day while beta blockers are a few pence. Cardiologists love bisoprolol and one of them told me it's their favourite drug (for heart failure). If you have angina I think you should ask your doctor for ivabradine. You cannot live like this every day.
    • Posted

Its only 'possible' svt so until they confirm I have to keep taking it. I was s fit & healthy 28 yr old now feel like a zombie the quicker I'm off it the better
  • Posted

If it is SVT ask your doctor about 'ablation' particularly 'cryoablation'. It involves a wire in your artery (groin or wrist) and freezing cells in your heart. I am having 'ablation' next year for 'atrilal fibrillation' I also have 'v-tach' and 'dcm' so have an 'icd defibrillator' for pacing my heart rhythms. Unfortunately I am on 'bisoprolol' for life and it is worse for a man to accept (no sexual desire (women too), impotence). Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.