bisoprolol overdose

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have been diagnosed with Af a year ago.. every time i've been to the hospital with a fast heart rate they double the dose ,now I have very low pulse 50 or less I seem to think maybe i've been given to much   anyone had same problem?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What dosage are you on now? Actually 50 is not too bad. Now that I have a pacemaker it kicks in when my heart rate goes below 60.

My heart rate was normally in the 40's but in AF it went up to 130bpm  on occasion.

I was told to take 2.5mg that morning and another at night. The following morning my heart rate was 36bpm so it can cause a rapid drop. Even when taking 1.25mg a day it went too low.

• Posted

As Derek said 50 is ok and better than 90+ --you live longer usually

Like Derek I have had a PM for 3 years now set at 60 and AF is improved as the AF that occurred at lower pulse rates is eliminated.

Hint-- push for a PM 

• Posted

It is surprising how low some peoples heart rate is without them knowing or having symptoms. When I was having mine fitted the other patient that day had a heart rate of 26bpm. It was only found when he went for an assesment prior to a hip repacement.

I rather suspect that mine was caused by by being on Verapamil for my hypertension for about eleven years. I only knew that it was in the 40's when  bought a BP monitor after having taken Verapamil for about a year.

When I mentioned it to my present GP some years later he was not concerned and said his was in the same range but he runs marathons. A nurse in ER once asked if I had been very fit when young. I told her that was someting I was never guilty of.  

• Posted

I find that the ignorance on "cardiac matters" amazing and generally at "primary school" level. This may be due to people being afraid to ask questions or seek advice of course. Recently an old school friend of mine had to be rushed to hospital to have stents fitted on the Thursday and on the Tuesday he attended a lunch in London travelling by rail and walking the 200 yards from Tube station to venue. Our other two dining companions were astounded at after he had suffered a "stroke/heart attack". We had to try and explain that it is known as an "event" and should not be nowadays a fatal occurrence. He was of course fortunate living close to Harewood Hospital.

My cardiac consultant said his pulse is 50 and bp 100/60. Now obviously I am not certain if he was trying to encourage me to increase my bisop to reduce my pulse 70 or bp 135/80 but he said if I did I "should" live longer 

• Posted

Hello Jean

I have been taking Bisoprolol for 6 moths and when taking 7.5 mgms my pulse was 56 which I understand is the lowest it should be. They reduced my dose to 5 mgms as I started getting night terrors.

Do you feel okay on the medication? I had awful fatigue and felt very irritable a lot of the time so yesterday my Gp changed my medication . I had also lost my appetite and list 16 lbs in weight since taking it.

Please chat to your Gp or consultant about it to

Best wishes

Suzanne

• Posted

I had the aame fatigue and night problems but it will go away and get better. The other beta blockers will obly do the same again but believe me it is not as good as bisoprolol. I am no doctor but i was a patient and have teated over a few years. Hope it gets better for you 😊
  • Posted

50 is around the lowest you should be and if it goes lower i sugest you lower your dose. I took bisoprolol for 3 years until a year ago. I had af and i am only 25 years of age. Bisoprolol is not powerfull against af it is just to slow the heart down and block some censors in the heart so the heart cant go fast and getting into af. Once in af bisoprolol is usless. Bisoprolol is by far the best for this kind of problems out of the rest of the beta blockers. People should start being their own doctors as your familiar with the medicine and how your body copes with it! Doctors dont actually know your body and how you react to it so be your own doctor of you realise its going too low then lower the dose for a little bit and see how its beating then. But dont just listen to doctora in hospital everytime you have af to up your dose! The obly thing i genuinely believe that worka for af is Ablation.
  • Posted

Ive been on 5mg of Bisoprolol per day for over 7 years for AF and the only side effect im aware of is tiredness late to mid afternoon. Saying this I've been on Beta Blockers for 16 years from the age of 26 so I probably have a body that is used to them by now. 

My resting heart rate before Beta Blockers was around 48bpm as I trained as a professional sports man in my early years and have trained in one form or another all my life. Now im about 45bpm at rest. Never really bothered me. Ive been shocked back to sinus about 12 times over the years but there is one really great remedy for AF and that is not thinking about it. I've had it off and on now for so long I dont give two monkeys and you know what, because I dont get all worked up now it tends to revert back on its own anyway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.