Bisoprolol side effects and withdrawal help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was on propanolol with no noticeable side effects. I've been moved to bisoprolol. It's to try calm palpitations and ectopic beats. I've taken bisoprolol for two days 1.25mg and by the first night felt awful. Tired, tight chest, squeezing feeling in my heart which frightened me. I took the second day dose but felt worse again by the evening. I've decided not to take day 3, it's Saturday and I will visit the GP on Monday, however now I have a headache, still have a tight chest and feel very faint. My heart rate and bp have never been an issue although on a 24 hr monitor there were some episodes of tachycardia. My hr and bp are fine, I feel hot but I know I'm not ill. Is this normal withdrawal type symptoms or hangover symptoms from my body not tolerating the drug? Any help appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

im taking the same B.B. For last 2months and the only side effect I have is joint pains I'm taking 2.5 mg also taking Sintrom for thining blood so it could be that either I guess I'm lucky sorry you are feeling awful m

• Posted

Your symptoms during these first two days can be:

1. side effects of Bisoprolol

2. withdrawal from Propranolol

These are all Beta blockers, but imagine that each of them is like 80% the same as others and 20% unique. And each of them will have effects on differents mechanisms.

For example, Propranolol crosses the bloodbrain barrier easily (100%), while Bisoprolol crosses is only to around 50% (Atenolol is at around 1%).

So, switching from Propranolol to Bisoprolol will surely cause some anxiety, because Bisoprolol has less effects on brain than Propranolol. Plus, you can experience some heart related side effects when switching BBs.

Imo, you would need to take Biso for a few weeks to know for sure that it is causing side effects.

I used to take Nebivolol 2 years ago for 4 Months and then I switched to Bisoprolol. I had some anxiety for 1-2 Months when I started to take Bisoprolol. Later it was gone. Back then, I thought that it was a side effect of Bisoprolol, but imo, it was a withdrawal from Nebivolol since it affects brain to 100%, and Biso only to 50%.

This year, I was again taking Nebivolol and I have stopped taking it (I have quit all BBs this time), and I felt the same anxiety as back then when I started Biso instead of Nebivolol..

So, imo, it was not Biso's side effect, but a withdrawal from Nebivolol both times.

In your case, if you could try some 3rd BB, like Atenolol or Nebivolol, and if you would have the same side effects as now on Biso, then you would know that it was not Biso, but a withdrawal from Propranolol.

If you wouldn't have these new side effects on Atenolol/Nebivolol, then it was Bisoprolol causing problems for you.

It is like maths. You have two things which could cause your current problems (Propranolol's withdrawal and Bisoprolol side effects) and you would need to do more tests or take if for a few weeks to be sure which one is causing the problems.

If you will stop both Propranolol and Bisoprolol, you will surely experience a tough withdrawal (you can read some other topics here about a withdrawal from BBs).

If you want to stop all BBs, my advice would be: go back to Propranolol and lower the dose slowly, 3/4, then a half, then 1/4, let's say 2 weeks or 1 Month on each new dose and then see whether you can live normally on lower doses or without Propranolol.

• Posted

Thank you so much. That does help and you explain it very clearly. I was taking propanolol as and when I needed it. The out of hours GP told me I couldn't go back to propanolol until I had missed two days of biso. Today I feel shaky and weak. My chest is tight and my arm is tingly. I'm so unsure of what is "real" and what is anxiety! I have been told by a pharmacist that if I prefer propanolol then it's likely that my issues are anxiety based. It's a theory, anyway I really appreciate your answer. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.