Bit of a setback

Posted , 4 users are following.

I think I may have developed diabetes because of the steroids. I saw the GP this morning because I was peeing all the time, I thought it must be a urine infection, I’m tired and my blood pressure is all over the place. I am drinking lots anyway because I thought I had a urine infection.

She is thinking diabetes. I am to have a fasting blood test Wednesday morning and then we will see. Antibiotics again in the meanwhile till the results come back from the urine test tomorrow and then I may be able to stop them if no urine infection. The last BP this evening was a bit scary, 170/101 p72, so rightly or wrongly I took 2.5mg of Istin, I already take bisoprolol and was on Istin but the too combined used to take it too low. I’ve no idea how they will treat this if she proves correct and I think now she is, it might even explain why my peripheral neuropathy in my feet suddenly got a lot worse a few days ago. sad Onwards and upwards.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that - do hope they can sort it out. That isn't a horrensously high BP so don't worry too much, it is high BP over long periods that causes problems. I've had to tinker a bit with my BP meds with various pred doses. But eventually they get it right!

• Posted

Thanks, that's reassuring. I normally am 137ish over 74ish. 

• Posted

I am new here so forgive me if I write something clumsy. Also, I am only the spouse of someone with Polymalgia Rheumatica ( newly diagnosed) Even so, I have watched the ups and downs he has experienced so far and you have my sympathy. 

Is blood pressure medicine not allowed? His has been uncontrolled without it. If you are drinking lots of water perhaps you are peing all the time because of that. I had diabetes while pregnant but  no peripheral neuropathy - just the usual swelling. 

I hope the tests reveal nothing significant. Best of luck- 

• Posted

I already take blood pressure tablets and they usually control my BP very well, but being in uncharted territory, I am vary of upsetting what has worked until now.I already have peripheral neuropathy, It's not a new thing, it has just got worse over the last few days, may not even be connected, but a curious coincidence.. Thank you for your good wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.