Bladder and kidney problems in teen girl, making me extremely anxious

Posted , 4 users are following.

17, F, 5'5", 173lbs, Caucasian.

Approximately 3 weeks ago, I noticed urinary urgency and increased frequency. The onset was suddenly random, and I recall feeling intense pressure in the bladder/pelvic region, but no actual pain when urinating. It became debilitating: I couldn't go anywhere for long as I had to find a toilet, and the pain became so bad I had to curl up in a foetal position until it became manageable. I couldn't sleep without painkillers.

I put produced 2 urine samples, but both came back clear, which was confusing. I couldn't manage to get an appointment for a while as it was dismissed as a UTI. I had these symptoms for 2 weeks.

Then, oddly, the pain around the bladder region became to subside, and I could go for around an hour without needing to urinate, as opposed to every 20 minutes/half an hour. I thought I was free! Though, apparently not, as the pain had moved to my ovarian region and near to my groin - mostly, it was on the right side, but I felt an odd twinge on the left. I panicked, though I had ovarian cancer, got sent to the doctor's. A summary of the meeting:

Temp: 37.2c BP: 139/89 (bearing in mind I had it taken a couple of months ago and it was 127/72) pulse 107. (I realise these things can be chalked down to anxiety) My urine showed the presence of some protein, but no bacteria or glucose, and the protein apparently could have been due to what I ate. (tuna the night before, eggs on that morning.)

After a pelvic exam, the nurse found tenderness in my bladder region, but no masses around my womb area, or any bloating. She found tenderness in both sides of my renal flank area. She suspected an infection, and gave me a dose of trimethoprim - 2x per day for 7 days - with the order to return if the antibiotics don't alleviate my symptoms, "for a blood test and a scan" (gulps)

I'm on day 4 of the antibiotics, and I don't know how far they're working. My urinary frequency has returned to normal, but sometimes i think I still produce smelly urine, and the ureter area remains painful (though admittedly not as debilitating as before.) Alarmingly, one time when I urinated I noticed my urine was browny/orange, though that could be the antibiotics or dehydration.

I have pain in my right hand side, that sometimes extends to the front, sometimes lurks at the back just under, or on, my lower ribs. Right now, it's manageable, and i'm not on any painkillers. A couple of days beforehand, I had to take 2 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen so I could manage, haha. So while it seems to be receding somewhat, its presence is nonetheless disconcerting. (it's also worse at night, and it's morning here.)

Essentially, what I want to know is, what is this? Is it just an infection, or something more serious? Even the nurse said she wasn't sure, but said I had no 'red flag' symptoms. However, the back and side pain wasn't there when I saw her.

I don't really have any other symptoms apart from the pain. I sometimes do feel tired and sickly, but that could be due to the antibiotics (and the stress!) I can't go back there until Monday at the least, so I'm very concerned. I can't stop thinking that i have kidney cancer, or lymphoma, or oesteosarcoma, or something ridiculous.

Edit: I also don't know how the urine samples could have came back clear, if there was infection.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wouldnt worry, it sounds like an infection.

Last year i was diagnosed with kidney disease and in march of this year had my right kidney removed because id had 22 years of kidney infections. Most of my infections would give normal urine sample results despite the crippling pain it was causing me. When people say that uti/bladder/ kidney infections 'arent that painful' theyre very wrong and it can be incredibly painful!

My kidney had also turned into one big kidney stone and caused me to pass out with pain if i couldnt get to a toilet quick enough- its worth checking you dont have a stone as this is also agonosing!

Most of all though- dont panic!

One infection will not cause serious damage and once cured you can be healthy again. Im one of those horror stories about not being diagnosed in time but its very rare. If your symptoms persist get more antibiotics and ask to be referred to a urologist to check there is no obstructions in your uti or kidney.

Youll be fine! smile

• Posted

Thank you for your response!

I feel fairly weak and tired, and it's 19:00. I don't have a lot of pain in my kidney particularly; rather, I feel achey all over. This is really ridiculous, but I'm honestly terrified I have lymphoma or something now...though I think my flank pain is slightly back...gah.

• Posted

Its hard not to think the worst and self diagnose but what youve described is typical bladder/ kidney infection and like i said not all urine tests will be positive for it.

Keep on antibiotics and drink plenty!

• Posted

Yes, that's true. I just spent some time with my friends and I could hardly notice my symptoms - I think I just need to keep my mind occupied, haha. 

I will do. Cheers! 

• Posted

Not sure if you're still reading, but the GP doesn't know what's wrong with me. She's sent me to A&E to "rule out appendicitis" as I had tenderness when she pressed in that region. It never ends...
  • Posted

This happened to me turns out the test that they give you at the office sometimes can be wrong but usually they stick you on meds anyways which they did. The ureter can be inflamed yet not be infected yet. Try some azo gummys a available at Walgreens and drink tons of water to flush you out.
  • Posted

When protein is found in your urine it should be tested to see how much.  There could be a small amount without a problem but a larger amount could lead to kidney disease.  Urine also should not be brown.  Did they do blood tests?  It actually sounds like your kidneys have a problem.  Smelly urine can be from kidney disease also. But can be from a infection also.  If you have had a blood test do you have the results?  A blood test will tell you if you have kidney disease or not.  Thing to check on your blood work is the eGFR.  But in any case you need more follow up from a doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Rhonda,

Firstly, sorry for more or less abandoning this thread. I ended up in A&E, and after 3 blood tests, they diagnosed me with some sort of phantom kidney infection. (the doctor himself was puzzled, but said that was the most likely thing, given that my WBC was 15, and that was the only irregularity.) I was given IV antibiotics for an hour, and then sent home with Co-amioxiclav 3x per day for 5 days. After 3 days, most of my pain more or less went; after a week, my back stopped hurting; and after around 10 days, I felt completely better. 

it was an odd experience. I felt like I was going insane with all of these odd symptoms that weren't assigned to anything for definite, lol. If you're reading this read, and you have similar symptoms: it's probably just a mild kidney infection. If something more insidious is lurking under the surface, I haven't felt it for 2 months. :P 

• Posted

This sound exactly like my granddaughter she is continuing getting this with pain. Results are negative, they keep saying not a clean specimen. Now I had to give her pain relief today again. We have another Drs appointment this morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.