Bladder Infection - How long to clear up?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday morning, I started having intense urge to pee and excruciating pain. I could NOT pee AT ALL, so I went to Urgent Care. I couldn't even get a drop for them to test. They sent me away w/ an anitbiotic and something for the pain. 

Doc told me to go to the ER and get catherized if it didn't get better. Well, it didn't get better. So I went that same evening. 1100cc's later, my bladder was finally empty.

This morining I had to go AGAIN! It's like my bladder worked for a little while, then quit.

I was peeing normal until this afternoon, now I can hardly get a drop out.

Is this normal??? Do I need to go back AGAIN, or give the meds more time to work? (This is only the second day).

thank you for any input....I'm miserable and can't decide what to do.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Due to kidney problems I am prone to UTI infections, I had the worst UTI infection of my life 2 months ago, so I know a bit of what you're going through. My guess is to give the antibiotics a little time, It took 2 whole weeks of taking antibiotics for my UTI to clear up.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply!

So was it just coming out in little dribbles? That's what concerns me. I am very bloated from this. (I'm a 36yo female)

• Posted

Yes it was, all day everyday for much of those 2 weeks which made life very uncomfortable. I was given solifenacin for the incontinence but recovered after taking the last antibiotic tablet.
    • Posted

Hi Abbie,

This is what happend to me. You have to be very careful that as you are unable to empty your bladder fully, that it doesn't go back into your kidneys and cause all kinds of problems. Sadly I have to self catheterise now as my bladder doesn't work at all. In my humble opinion I would go back to your GP and tell him the situation. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Thank you for the information! I am an otherwise heatly 36 year old female. I drink lots of water and workout almost every day of the week and eat right (for the most part!wink . There are no other health problems that I know of. It was just very sudden.

I'm curious.....How did yours come about?  Did they have a cause or other reason?

This message board has been so helpful learning of other people's experiences. 

• Posted

Hi Abbie,

I was also like you very healthy woman of 45 and it happened to me after getting a flu virus, not sure if it is a coincidence though.

They told me that I had to catheterise, as any urine left to build up in the bladder would cause distension and problems with my kidneys. I was in hospital for 2wks and was very ill. You can get a lot of help and advice from the COB foundation UK. They have helped me so much. Hope you feel better soon. smile

• Posted

Hi

It sound to me as though you need what;s called an Indwelling Catheter in until your infection (which it surely must be) has time to clear up.

If yu cannot pee then the infection will keep getting worse.

I would go back and insist they do this.

I am a man who had the same thing due to an enlarged prostate!

Good luck

Jeremy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.