Bladder irritation during/after kidney stone passing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was in the emergency room last Sunday with a kidney stone -- 4mm --  at the time the doc said it was 2 inches away from entering the bladder.  It was very painful while the stone had passed through the ureter which is why I finally went in and  for the week before I'd had painful burning urination that wouldn't go away with all my normal remedies. When they tested my urine there was no infection and said kidney stones could create this kind of mimicked uti/cystits. A week later and the cystitis/uti  like symptoms continue.  I am wondering whether this is normal and if so can it mean the stone still hasn't passed?  Or that the ureter was in some way scraped on the way down and the pain is referred?  Thank you for any help...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Update:  I'm pretty sure the stone has finally passed (a month later) and indeed the bladder irritation was the most prominent symptom that the stone hadn't gone anywhere.  Once it passed the pain went away immediately. Only two inches away and despite drinking a ton of water it took a month!

• Posted

Thank you! I've been looking every where to see if anyone has had the same problem I am. I had the painful day of cold and hot sweats plus the horrible pain in my back and groin when the stone was moving through my ureter now I just have painful burning in my urethra all the time. This is awful! Ready for it to be over !

• Posted

Hi! Are you feeling better? I’m dealing with bladder pain/bloating more than two weeks after getting diagnosed with stones. I had an X-ray almost a week ago that showed no stones so I believe I passed the biggest one at least.  Please let me know what ended up happening with you! 
    • Posted

Hell nikip & S & T,

I’m in the same boat currently as you guys were. I have a 5 mm stone that led me to the emergency room several days ago. It’s now in my bladder and despite drinking copious amounts of water. It doesn’t water come out. 

Any suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.