Bladder problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 19 year old male, never had oral/sex, don't drink or do drugs. I've been having bladder problems for the last 6 months, I have a constant urge to pee every 20 minutes to 1 hour throughout the day. Alot of the times it gets worse during night and I can't sleep until my bladder is empty. There's no pain or burning sensation when I pee, just the urge to urinate frequently. I've went to my family doctor 5 times to seek help. I took two urine samples, a blood test and they all came back negative for any infections or problems. They prescribed me 4 different antibiotics (each time a stronger dose) and no luck. I have try drinking cranberry juice and alot of water, but it doesn't make a difference. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, First of all, stop taking antibiotics and drinking cranberry juice. In the absence of an infection, antibiotics won't do anything for you. And cranberry is a huge bladder irritant and will make your urgency worse. Look into the possibility of an overactive bladder. That's what I have. Your bladder nerves are incorrectly signaling to your brain that the bladder is full and needs to be emptied even when there are low volumes of urine in it. Diet change, pelvic floor physical therapy and medication to relax the bladder can all help alleviate your bothersome symptoms.

• Posted

How long have you had OAB, does OAB ever go away on it's own, and what pelvic floor excercises that you found is the most effective?

• Posted

OAB doesnt go away on its own you have to retrain your bladder. You can find pelvic floor exercises on youtube.
    • Posted

I have had OAB for over 3 years now. Since my early thirties. It came out of nowhere, literally started overnight for an unknown reason. Really threw my life into a tailspin. Once you have OAB, it never truly goes away as there is no cure for this condition but you can manage and alleviate a lot of the symptoms. By a lot of trial and error and different treatments I went from constant 24/7 urge to urinate and sometimes urinating every 15 minutes to almost feeling completely normal most days. The only time my bladder acts up now is when I am stressed or nervous or if I drink too much coffee (I know, coffee is very bad for the bladder!). So it's very possible to feel better and make the constant urgency go away. I would say what helped me the most to get where I am was two medications- Oxybutynin and Uribel. And I completed 24 weeks of pelvic floor PT over the course of 1.5 years. Kegels are a great starting point to strengthen pelvic floor and gain more control over your bladder.

• Posted

Hi again, I started doing abs exercises a few weeks ago and I went down from going 13+ times a day to about 6-8 times a day. How many times did you go before and after taking meds and doing pelvic floor exercises?
  • Posted

That's rough!! Especially being a male which makes it even harder to find a diagnosis. I completely agree with middlechild79, sounds just like an overactive bladder syndrome. Can be caused due to high caffeine intake, spinal injury or medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.