Bladder prolapse

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 72 years of age I had an hysterectomy 20 years ago. I have seen a consultant who after examining me advised I have a anterior repair then consider further surgery for a posterior repair at a later date; if I wish. Why can't he do them both at the same time? His assistant explained the anterior operation would mean cutting the vaginal wall, cutting a small part of the bladder away them stitch the cut back together. Is this the normal procedure? 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I don't know why your consultant who I hope is a urogynaecologist can't perform both repairs at the same time. I had an anterior and posterior prolapse and like most women both wer repaired at the same time. It saves having 2 anaesthetics and 2 lots of convalescing. 

I don't know why they want to cut a small part of your bladder. That doesn't sound like a repair because although they would make the incision as you describe but they would then push the prolapse back into position then stitch. What part of the bladder are they going to cut? I think you need more answers.

• Posted

Hi there, I agree with the first reply. Also I'm 12 weeks post posterior repair and I can imagine having both together would be huge. I'm 48 and still exhausted as back to work at 8 weeks but once you factor in other activities of running house kids etc it's very challenging recovery. At 72 I'd consider how much the prolapse bothers you. If I'd known how big a deal the recovery is I wouldn't have bothered. I had a stage 3/4 prolapse but it wasn't problematic. Read lots and consider carefully. The forum is a huge help good luck xx

• Posted

The recovery after having 2 repairs at the same time is almost the same as having just the one in terms of recovery, pain and long term success. All anaesthetics have an element of risk so it is better particularly as we get older is to reduce the number. Most urogynaecologists in my experience would perform the 2 repairs at the same time unless of course the patient declines consent or there is another reason why they can't be. 

• Posted

Hi Matron. My consultant has told me he will do my posterior and vaginal vault prolapse together next Feb. If necessary he will do the anterior one later if it causes problems as it's not too bad yet. I'm just relieved to be getting it done after all the waiting after cyst and ovary removal last April. He did listen to me about the allergy to polyester so will just use stitches instead of tape. Maybe some surgeons prefer to do one at a time, depending on the patient! I hope derek keeps in touch with us now as it does help to talk about our worries. Glad you're back Matron. x smile

• Posted

Hello Pollyanna. It could be in your particular case the posterior repair and a vaginal vault repair would have just been too much if he did the anterior repair at the same time. You are having 2 procedures and that's all most consultants would do. Having those repaired may well help the bladder from prolapsing any further by protecting and supporting it. 

February isn't far away now Pollyanna, I look forward to reading about your recovery and fingers crossed it will go well, I'm sure it will 😘

• Posted

Hi Matron, the surgeon said he thought it better to do the anterior prolapse first as the interior is only mild. But I am concerned I will recover from one operation then have to be operated on again. I can't understand why they would need to cut away a small piece of my bladder, I did not think think this was the way it was done. Please can you or anyone who has had it done help?

• Posted

I'll let you know one way or the other. As I'm now 73 it's a bit daunting to say the least so I understand how derek feels! rolleyes

• Posted

Hello Pollyanna, I am derek's wife (Jade) we joined patient last year when he had a hip replacement. Have you had the prolapse operation or are you about to do so?

• Posted

Hopefully you'll get some responses to your question derek, I can't help unfortunately because this is something new to me but I can ask colleagues who work in this field if they can help.

• Posted

Thank you Matron for your response, please do.
    • Posted

Hi Jade. As Matron said I've never heard of cutting any of the bladder either! Could you have misheard what the assistant said? If you go to your GP, (UK), they should have all your details as they are sent electronically now, (emailed)! I've previously had 2 repairs, hysterectomy and bladder repair and posterior, bowel repaired, both vaginally. Next one is for vaginal vault and posterior repair/lift. We do sometimes have to have them redone as our tissues, ligaments etc get weaker as we age. I'm 73 so understand your concerns but I'm sure all will go well. Just clarify what you're having done to put your mind at rest. GP's won't mind and will understand your concerns. x Take care rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, thank you for your message, it is good to hear from people who have similar problems.

I went to see my GP yesterday and told her my concerns, she just said they only take a little of my bladder away. This afternoon I have made an appointment to see the consultant again, as I am still not happy. Good luck with your surgery and take care x

• Posted

Hi Jade.

Hope the appointment goes well for you. Make sure you get the answers you want and ask why they have to remove a small part of the bladder! It's usually a small part of the vaginal wall so they can push the prolapse back then stitch it up a bit tighter. My dates for surgery are Feb so I have Christmas 1st and New Year. Might start getting a bit 'excited then! lol' wink  

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna

You make the process sound like someone doing a bit of machining. I am asking a friend to go with me, to make sure I get the answers I need before I proceed with the operation. I am definitely being a man next time I am born.biggrin 

• Posted

Know what you mean. Good idea to take a friend with you, ask her to make notes as it's hard to remember what's said after in my experience. I think we get so nervous our mind goes blank. xsmile

• Posted

Write all of your questions down, a good Urogynaecologist (make sure it is a urogynaecologist) won't mind even if you hand over the piece of paper with the questions written down. I've always recommended that and I've seen it done in the outpatient department. I've worked in gynaecology for many years but I did that prior to my appointment because it's very easy to forget once you are sat down facing the consultant.

• Posted

Thank you Matron, I will write my questions down. I was speaking to a very knowledgeable friend last night and she has sent me what would be her questions; so between us we should get some answers.
    • Posted

I don't know what happened when I went to see the consultant as I am not a nervous person, but I was that day. I am going to write my questions down and ask my friend to take notes. x

• Posted

Good for you. It's a bit nerve wracking speaking to consultants, I have to admit I'm the same. They seem a bit 'godlike'! Glad you've got a friend who knows what to ask and one to take notes. I'm sure all will be clearer after. Keep in touch if only for a chat. Poll surprised

• Posted

I agree with everything Pollyanna has said but remember Consultant's are human. They poo, wee and very often have too much to drink. They have all the same problems as us, mortgages, snotty nosed children, and wives who expect them to spend more time at home and nag them when they aren't available for parents evenings and family parties. 

• Posted

Thanks for putting everything in perspective Matron. razz X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.