Bleed!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi...I was diagnosed with Diverticular disease in April 2015.  I had terrible pains in my stomach for 5 days and was told I probably had a virus.  The pain eased on the 6th day and I felt well.  At 1:30 in the morning I had pain in my lower stomach which woke me up.  I went into the bathroom thinking I had had an 'accident' as stuff was pouring from my bottom.  I realised on sitting on the loo that it was blood with clots The nausea was so bad that I fainted and fell to the floor.  On coming to myself I began vomiting and at the same time this blood was pouring out of me...all over the bathroom walls doors etc. The ambulance men said when they arrived that it looked like a murder scene. I was cleaned up at the hospital and told later that day to go home and wait for an outpatients appointment to have the sigmoidoscopy done. It was this procedure that showed up the disease.  I had a scan recently and am now waiting for the results.  Has anyone else had this massive bleed?  It scared the life out of me.

Janet.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janet, that must have been incredibly scary for you. How are you feeling now?

I have had incredible pain but nothing like you have experienced. I hope you progress well and they come up with an effective treatment plan. Take good care.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

It was scary but it hasn't happened since so I am really hoping it was a one off.  I am not in as bad a condition as many in here.  I don't suffer enormous pains, as some do  I can cope with the stomach ache and know its because I've eaten something I shouldn't.have.

You take care too and thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Janet

I am pleased it hasn't happened again since and certainly hope it doesn't in the future.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

All the best.

• Posted

I have been bleeding but not much. Just some on the tissue. It's not unusual to bleed in diverticular disease. Did they give you blood transfusions? That might be necessarily sometimes when someone is bleeding. If there's no sign of bleed stopping surgery may be the only option. This is however quite rare. Most of diverticular sufferer does not bleed at all. Hopefully this was a one off isolated incident for you. May very well be. Scan will tell you more but the endoscopy is probably the best investigation. They would have seen ulcerations or active bleeds during that investigation. Scans can show accumulation or deformities
    • Posted

Hi Appendectomy,

No I wasn't given a transfusion..in fact no one really did anything. it is now 3 months since that incident and I have not bled since.  I think I will always be scared of it happening again though.  I also haven't had those great stomach pains...just stomach ache which I can cope with.

• Posted

Hi

That sounds quite scary. Do you think a diverticular pocket burts.

Any ultrasounds? Could it be from fibroids?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

They found no fibroids and I haven't had the results of the CT scan yet. I have to go to the surgery clinic on the 18th August.

Janet

• Posted

That sounds awful. Have you had a colonoscopy yet? At least that will tell you what it is. My brother was very similar to you but instesd it was every time he went to use his bowels. He was diagnosed with Crones disease which is a bowel condition as well. 

How are you now and I hope you are coping

• Posted

Hi Gail,

I had a sigmoidoscopy..it was this that diagnosed the Diverticulits.  I've had a scan but still waiting for the results.  I've had stomach ache for almost a week now..I think I maybe I ate something I shouldn't.

• Posted

Hi Janet,

It sounds like your pockets filled up with blood and became infected.  When that happens the pockets release the blood and comes out in clumps along with all the other stuff that was trapped called diverticulosis.  That happen to my grandmother and one of my clients.  It is very scary and you must be very careful with what you eat because this condition can kill you if the pockets every began leaking into you blood stream.

• Posted

Hi Tee

Thanks for that warning..I need to find out just what I can and can't eat.  All I can think of at this moment is that it might be the strawberries I had because I've had stomach ache since then.  I'm going to start keeping a diary as many have suggested on here.  

• Posted

Gosh I knew we could get bad but I didn't know how bad. I have been very lucky. I am now in my 9th week and am doing fine. I have been going to an acupuncturist and a dietician. Both of which has helped me I believe. I also take the aleo vera juice. My dieticain told me I cannot eat garlic, onion, broccoli,cauliflower and bananas but I have tried to add small amounts to my diet again and I have been fine. I do eat nuts seeds and strawberries and have been alright on these food but everyone is different only I believe it used to be said years ago not to eat these things. Now it is recommended to have a high fibre diet, and lots of water. My accupuncturist has been given me herbal medicine to take to coat my stomach and bowel to help heal the infections. Im prety sure this is what is helping me other than the aleo vera juice. Not sure but fingers crossed I don't get anymore attacks. As we know we will all try anything so as to be pain free.
    • Posted

Thank you Gail....I don't really know what I can and cannot eat yet as I have been fine up to this week when it started again...so I will write down all I eat and see how it goes.  Trial and error I suppose.

Glad to hear you are doing fine now. :-)   Praying you don't get any more attacks :-(

• Posted

The general consesus seems to be NO seeds; nuts; pips or skins - on fruits etc  and no pulses inc peas/sweetcorn etc - those skins again.  These indigestible little swines can get into the diverticular pockets and then they cant get out, so sit and fester for a week or ten days and then wham - the pain hits; often with a temperature. So it is not possible to say "Oh I ate blackberries and strawberries yesterday and I am fine" - because they may not cause an infection for days and days!  Bed rest and antibiotics the only thing.  (I have metronodozole and cefelexin from my Doc to keep by me for when the pain/temp hit).  things like cabbage, onion and garlic can give you symptoms that are far more immediate (garlic has me in agony withing five hours).....but that pain is pain caused by the plant chemicals and it is not an infection; once the food has passed through you should be OK within about 24 hours (but best avoided in the first place! although garlic seems to be the new salt and is put in SO many products now; even fish cakes!! Check all labels!!)

Best wishes. Christine

• Posted

Thanks Christine for that information I am wondering what I can eat now.....lol. I need to get a good menu! Eggs I think are ok but I can't live on them.  I have still got the tummy ache but no temperature... So no worries at present.  I am moving house today too so the stress isn't helping. 

Thanks again. smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.