Bleeding and thin stools - worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Holiday greetings! I'm a 60 year old man, waiting for my colonoscopy on Wednesday and worrying. About a week ago I noticed bright red blood in my stool, and went to my doctor the next day. She also detected blood with the FOBT, and she ordered a colonoscopy. I realized I had been having other signs for a couple months but ignored them until the obvious blood spurred me to action. My stools have been consistently thinner than previously normal, and I have been having pain/difficulty passing larger stools. Also there have been occasional red stains on the toilet bowl that I now realize were blood from earlier bowel movements. The combination of these signs has me quite worried. Although I know it's premature, i'm already researching treatment locations should it turn out to be colon or rectal cancer. No specific questions, just looking for support and any advice. Thanks!

R.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

can be many many other things . I had thinned stools for years . Pencil thin and ribbon liked stools .

My symptoms got worst through out the years .

It ended up being Internal hemmoroids.

Cancer is the last thing it could be . Don't google .

Google always relates cancer to everything .

Keep real real strong faith in god and everything will be ok

• Posted

Agreed. Stay away from Dr Google! Scared me silly after my surgery 3 years ago! 

• Posted

Richard

just to reiterate what everyone else is saying, this could be a lot of things and many of them simple things so don't go to def con 1.

i have had IBS for 40 years and get bleeding and strange stools, it's fixed with tablets and diet.

if the blood started only one week ago you have reacted at the right time and not waited which is extremely positive.

keep us updated

• Posted

Hi

just read your post, I was diagnosed IBS two years ago due to upper left abdo pain and gastritis, last 15 months lower left pain also feel,quite ill at times and now have blood in bowel movements, going for endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy soon, did you have any abdo pain and where and was the blood bright red? Thank you so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.