Bleeding for 2 months solid - any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have now been bleeding every day for 2 months. As you can imagine I am feeling pretty run down! I have started taking iron and have an appointment with my GP today. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can share some of the outcomes I could expect. I'm hoping it's something to do with my Mirena coil and that taking it out sorts the problem but that was inserted months ago and I didn't have any problems with the previous one. I'm pretty worried to be honest and, of course, asking Dr Google hasn't helped!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My GP thinks that it is unlikely to be related to the Mirena due to the length of time since replacement. She suspects it is hormonal, either thyroid related or premature ovarian failure (I'm 33) so it's blood test ahoy before any diagnostics. I'll keep you posted.
  • Posted

Hi Tina, 

I am having the same problems but mine are getting longer each month i started bleeding on 17 April light at first for a couple of days then flooding with colts thought i was coming to the end by 6 May as it got lighter again then stopped a few day after, but now i'm clear in the day but by the end of the evening i have to  rush to the loo as i flood with large clots but by the morning all clear again. My GP as given me some tablets to help control the bleeding and is sending me for a scan to see if i have fibroids as he say's this can lead to heavy and long bleeds. I had a Mirena coil 3 years ago (i have had several over the years) but had the last one taken out due to an infection, but my GP say's if everything comes back ok from  the scan i could have another Mirena fitted i had no bleed when i had the coil. Hopefully when you have your blood tests your GP will be able to help you.

• Posted

Hi

The GP gave me Tranexamic Acid which has helped alot. Things have certainly calmed down over the last few days. I had the bloods taken on Friday and go back to he GP next week for the results. If it comes to it and I need the Mirena removed then I'm ok with that. My husband has had a vasectomy so the coil was replaced purely because of previous heavy periods (go figure!!). Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I hope your scan goes well.

Tina x

• Posted

So, my bloods are fine. TSH is borderline but it always is. Back at the GP on Tuesday so I will have to see what is next...watch this space!

Tina x

• Posted

Had the Mirena removed and stayed on the Tranexamic Acid for another week on GP recommendation. As soon as I stopped taking the tablets the bleeding started again. Back on them for another month she says. Stopped taking the tablets on Thursday.... been bleeding since Saturday!! Back to the docs for me! She's said that the next step will be a scan. Happy days eh?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.