Bleeding on HRT

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone here taking Prometrium and Estrace orally?? I have been on it for a couple of years but started bleeding at Christmas and am now waiting for a biopsy as an ultrasound showed my endometrial lining is thicker than normal. Could it be the HRT that caused the bleeding?? My Doctor says I must be screened for endometrial cancer, which I understand, but am wondering if the HRT just needs to be adjusted?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Similar things happened to me twice now. Different HRT than you though. I am 55 started HRT 6 years ago, two years no bleeding then bleeding lasting 7-10 days, ultrasound showed thick areas in uterus, biopsies all negative both times. They decided its down to needing change of HRT. We are in the process of finding one suitable for me. On my fourth change now as some caused more bleeding.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara. This is exactly what I expected my doctor to say when I went to her initially - that my HRT needed adjusting/changing. But she zoned in on cancer testing and never even mentioned that there could be another cause for the bleeding. I still feel that it will be due to the HRT needing to be changed in some way and your reply has given me some encouragement - thank you. At least you weren't taken off HRT - I am concerned they might suggest that!!!

• Posted

They have to cover themselves so ultrasound, hysteroscopy, biopsies etc must be done to exclude cancer before they look at other things.
  • Posted

Hello 

I've been on Estrofem and Uterogestan for many years without problems but more recently my gynaecologist has said that the endometrium is thickened and he wants to do a biopsy.  I've agreed, somewhat reluctantly, but I've got no other symptoms.  I guess best to be safe.  I'm 66.  Lyn

• Posted

That's how I feel too Lyn. If you don't go it will niggle away at the back of your mind so, as you rightly say, its best to be safe. Isn't great to have such issues with an organ we no longer need!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Lyn and Everyone, I have had 23 yrs of being on Livial (Tibolone) HRT. Six months ago at the age of 72 I had the slightest, merest traces of blood in my normal secretions. I went straight to my doctor who referred me to a gynaecologist. A smear was taken, and a Hysteroscopy where they do a biopsy. Cancer of the uterus was diagnosed but because it was caught early and so in the early stages it was a Grade 1. I have since had a hysterectomy followed by radiotherapy treatment and I am pleased to report that all is great. Thank goodness I did not ignore my symptoms and got medical advice immediately. Ladies, just a reminder to you all on HRT don't put off seeking help if you are concerned about anything.  Love, LadyPink

• Posted

Thank you LadyPink (great name!!) I am sorry you got the dreaded diagnosis but so happy to hear that all is well now.

Good for you for sharing your advice on not ignoring symptoms - that's the best advice to anyone on here who is worried.

I have a biopsy on Monday (it's been brought forward by a week so thankfully I won't be waiting as long as I thought). Like you, I went to be checked out as soon as my symptoms started.

Best wishes and many, many years of good health to you XXXX

• Posted

So my biopsy is in the morning. Up to now I've been handlling all this really well (very unlike me actually!!) but tonight I feel totally stressed and the reality of all this is hitting me big time.

I've heard and also read on Dr. Google (!!) that the procedure is very painful, which I suppose makes sense really. But I'm dreading the wait for the results - how the hell do you get your head around the fact that part of your body is being tested for cancer? Why did all this not hit me until now??

Also, I was doing well on my HRT until this bleeding started on Christmas Eve. It lasted two weeks, wasn't heavy, but it was bleeding and I know that's not normal. But I am also worried that my gyneacologist will now take me off HRT completely and I will be faced with the menopause symptoms that made my life miserable before I started the medication.

My head is all over the place tonight as all of a sudden this has become very, very real.

• Posted

Had the biopsy this morning. It was difficult as I have a tilted womb, which makes any procedure in that area difficult. The gyneaologist was about to give up and bring me back to have it done with sedation but we agreed to try once more and he succeeded in getting the sample. It's uncomfortable but not unbearable and is very quickly done once he gets the instrument into the right place!!! Have cramping and bleeding since, but expected that. No results for three weeks - didn't expect that!!! I expected 10 days max. So now I wait......!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.