Blepharitis and lash extensions?

Posted , 34 users are following.

I have been wearing lash extensions for four years. About six months ago, my eyes started bothering me. I didn't think too much of it until I saw my opthamologist yesterday. She said the pours in my eyelids were clogged and she diagnosed me with blepharitis. I asked if I should have my lashes removed and she said yes, it's a start. Has anyone else developed blepharitis after wearing lash extensions? The woman who does my lashes is extremely professional and is considered the best in my area. I'm hoping I can remove my lashes for a month or so, develop a regime that clears things up, then go back to having lashes. I appreciate any feedback.

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Susan,

First I don't understand:lash extensions is the same as falsies, that is fake lashes that are worn on the top of our  natural lashes?

I am working right now on falsies. I have worn them at home just to check how I will feel with my bleh-s.

Seems like they don't bother me. But ? I will wear them only for a couple of hours anyway. 

Your doctor told you to remove eyelashes. I have read so MANY inputs on this site but never heard about removing  lashes. They might not grow back. I would never do it. There are many ways to manage bleh-s.

Its not curable but could be managed. Stay on this site you will learn a lot.

• Posted

hi Rita, I think the doctor meant the lash extensions should be removed along with the glue adhering the lash as the pores were blocked. That’s how I read it. Is that right Susan?
    • Edited

I have worn eyelash extensions for the past four years. They are 2-3 lashes that are adhered to my natural lashes by glue. Must be professionally done. Must also be professionally removed.
    • Posted

Exactly. I'm surprised my eyes don't feel better. I had the lashes taken off four days ago. I'm all in on using heat, tea-tree cleaner, and eye drops. I see my eye doctor this week. I hope there are prescription drops or orals that can help my eyes calm down. And, that said, I think my ble- is pretty light. We shall see. Thanks for the note.

• Edited

HI Susan, there is no rhyme nor reason why bleph starts for some people and it’s a waste of time trying to think of the how/whys etc. I know I’ve spent a lot of time coming to terms with the fact that I have bleph and stuck with it. It’s not terminal and I’ve got mine under control at the moment though it’ll bubble up for no reason sometimes. Over the years I’ve developed an arsenal of options to use under different circumstances. In time you will too so take heart. All the best, Pamela 
  • Posted

HI , sadly,  any my am maje up that as been used before with contaminated brushes must be discarded. When you feel the time I see right but reasonably priced hypoallergenic makeup, disposable mascara wands and eyeshadow applicators. Once the wand and eyeshadow applicators have been in contact with your eyes they should be discarded. X
    • Posted

Good to know. I'm going to discard all of my makeup and makeup applicators. There's no way to clean the brushes? I'll look into all of it. I do think the makeup needs to go. (Fall cleaning.) It'll be a good exercise in getting rid of a lot of stuff I don't use. Thank you!

• Posted

I use a cream eyeshadow and apply it with my finger, staying away from my the border of my eyelashes. I wash my hands after each eye. This way there is nothing to throw out. But most days I stay away from eye makeup. 
    • Posted

I spray everything with isopropyl alcohol. Wash brushes and spray. Spray eyelash curler, powder eyeshadow and liner pencils.
  • Edited

I have the same problem, noticed it about a month ago but unfortunately couldn’t get my lash extensions removed until yesterday. I started wearing extensions about 5 or 6 months ago & cleaned them well because I wore makeup everyday. I’m still trying to figure out how severe my case is though, because I only have a couple symptoms, mostly only on my left eye. Currently the only symptoms I have are some slight puffiness, a little redness on my left eye, & the crusties. I never got the dry eyes, teary eyes, or sore eyes.

It started with my eyelids getting really itchy, then I saw the crusties around the roots of my lashes & started googling. I started using hot compresses & hardcore cleaning with baby shampoo like 4-6 times a day (basically removing most of the extensions myself). Went to urgent care, got some ointment that I used in the morning & over night until it started irritating my skin more (I think) so I stopped using it. Started using the Wet Ones, those help a lot but can really dry out your skin, so I just bought some Manuka honey 24+ from Whole Foods yesterday. Put some on over night, left eye is unchanged but my right eye seemed to only be a little puffy today, no crusties or anything.. 

Also I’ve been wearing makeup almost everyday (for work & stuff) but not directly on the puffy spots & red spots, just the very ends of my eyes because I used to wing my liner everyday. I figured since it hasn’t spread over my entire eye by now that wearing slight makeup isn’t a big problem. I really want to continue to wing my eyeliner everyday though so I’m determined to get rid of it but it’s definitely taking a while. 

• Posted

Thanks for your note. I'm beginning to wonder if I have blepharitis. I don't have any crustiness, my eyes are a bit sensitive (always have been), and the only thing I see are occasional white bumps on my upper or lower lids. I'm going to see an opthamologist through my insurance. I don't think I'm in denial; I do think I need to see an MD who can shed more light on everything. In the interim, I'm washing my eyes very carefully with tea tree oil cleanser (made specifically for cleaning lids), and using very delicate facial cleanser, as well. I do think there's one correlation: I was diagnosed with rosacea about nine months ago. I believe that's when my eyes started bothering me. Is there a connection? The rosacea is under control, care of a topical medication. Again, thank you. I'm also determined to get this under control. I appreciate your feedback!

• Posted

hi, how did you ever get this to go away.

i just had my lashes done last night and noticing the same issue you described.  you mentioned you went to urgent care, that was going to be my next step.  I dont know where to go or what to do! 

• Posted

You could have ocular rosacea...I am not a doctor,this is just what I think.

Wine,coffee and alcohol and sun is very bad for rosacea.

Also all make-up...you should try bio-makeup.

• Posted

I’m having my lash extensions taken off today I wasn’t sure what was wrong  until I started reading this site I’m sure that I have blepharitis. I feel the same way I love my lashes so much I hope that I can just heal my Eyes  and get them put back on in a few months I’m 60 years old and literally have no eyelashes hardly at all but it’s better that my eyes are healthy ! I have an appointment with the ophthalmologist today I hope you can give me a quick fix but maybe an anabiotic for my eyes or something!!!
    • Posted

I had my extensions taken off and was miserable. The pain and iteration were exacerbated by using eye makeup and removing it. I realize I needed to be completely makeup free for anything to improve. I finally went to see an opthalmologist who gave me a prescription for gave me a prescription for fluorometholone drops. I use them three times a day and the relief was almost instantaneous. I'm back to my extensions and couldn't be happier. My doc said I should use the drops for about three to four weeks. He says they "zap" the swelling and blepharitis into submission. I'm on week one and wake up to happy, fresh eyes, no secretions, no crustiness around the lids. If you can swing it, I highly recommend going to an optho. Optometrist can't prescribe, which was what led me down the road to removing them, hot compresses, blah blah blah. Nothing really worked. I wash my lids carefully, use the drops, and am soooo happy at the relif. Good luck!

• Posted

Susan, 

I’m experiencing the exact same thing. How long did you take your lash extensions off for? And when you used the prescription eye drops how long was it before you could put your lashes back on?  Could you use the prescription eye drops with your lash extensions? 

I’m dreading take my lashes off😩 

Thank you in advance for all of your advice. This is new to me and I’ve had my lashes for 2 years and after reading this forum, I’m pretty sure I have the same mess everyone else has. 

Thank you again 😊😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.