Blepharitis and semi-permanent make up

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering from blepharitis for over a year now and currently on antibiotics and eye drops as I have a bad flare up. I only get it on my right lower lid. Eyeliner seems to make it worse and I'm putting this down to my bad flare up. I am considering semi-permanent make up (eye-lash enhancement so a bit like eyeliner but very natural and only in the eyelash line). Has anyone had this done / heard any bad experiences with blepharitis and semi-permanent make up? Many thanks.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ELV4 

I had (or tried) to have my eyelashes dyed thinking it was a good idea and I love the pampering of a beauty parlour.  Oh but it was a bad mistake, the beautician and I ended up very upset.  She said it was impossible to get the dye to take on my eyes, it was a bit painful when she was trying to apply it, in the end we both decided to give it up as a bad job.  Then my eyes flared up for quite a few days after.  To be fair my eyes flare up at the least little thing so you might be perfectly fine. Just be very very careful.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thinking now it's best to leave it alone. It's just so depressing not bring able to wear eye make up when I go out. Many thanks.
  • Posted

I tint my lashes at home using DyeLash. I do one eye at a time and it seems to work ok, without problems. 
    • Posted

Thank you heuchera maybe this would be less drastic than semi-permanent make up.
  • Posted

Dear Elv4,

I used an antibacterial hand wipe and killed the Blepharitis. It is caused by Staph on the eyelashes for me. I used  antibiotics 3 times with no help. I washed with baby shampoo.

The Wet Ones, hand wipes, do not go in the eye. They go on the lashes and outer part of the eye. If you do not have sensitive skin and are not allergic to shampoo, detergent, fabric softeners, hand wipes or lanolin you give it a try.

It does take over 3 months to kill it but the last couple of months you only do it 2 times a day. I was able to wear mascara and kill it at the same time. That involves buying new mascara and throw away wands. Never double dip in the new mascara. Use 1 wand per eye. The same with eye shadow and applicators.

Wish you well,

Lynda79

• Posted

Thank you lynda79 I have bought some of the wipes but it made the skin near my eyelashes sore I might try them just on my lashes. Thank you for your advice it's all welcome.
    • Posted

Hi, any luck?

Every time I wear mascara I get a huge flare up for days after sad I have had blepharitis for about 2/3 years and manage it with flare ups every month or so, I gave up mascara and eye make up about 6 months ago and miss is it terribly.. I feel I have tried everything, I am currently on antibiotic cream and going to try the wet ones. Anything to get my mascara back!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi emma29788. I do have blepharitis in my upper and lower lash lines according to a consultant I saw however only one of my lower lash lines gets red, sore and inflamed.

I did have the top lash lines tattooed very subtly only in the lash line and I have had no problems. I only wear mascara occasionally now on my top lashes and it does cause problems (with that one lower lid) unfortunately if I keep it on too long. I don't think I'll get the lower lash line tattooed I have too many problems with it. Not sure if that helps X

• Posted

Dear Elva,

I read that there are some doctors who use the antibiotics in an off label way. That means they would put the antibiotic on the eyelashes is say that was where the problem was. You could try putting your antibiotic on the spot that is affected and not in the whole eye.

I asked the doctor about that and he told me some gets on the lashes. I was able to kill the Blepharitis on the surface of my lashes where my itching was located. I wondered why the antibiotic was not to be put there.

Just a thought that it might give you more relief.

Lynda 79

• Posted

Thank you Lynda 79 I will speak to my doctor about this. All advice welcome!
  • Posted

I have no experience with the make up.  Sorry.
  • Posted

Thank you all. I have been researching perminent eye liner. I'm depressed w/o eye makeup that Blepharitis halted! have always thought I don't have any eyes w/o makeup... very pale blonde. I will try WET ONES hand wipes!

I have got it "under control" w soaking and applying black tea bags, but eye makeup seems to bother. Also my vision has taken a dump! Blurred vision. Afraid I will not pass the DMV test end of this month!

Love to hear of Blepharitis ladies that have done perminent eyeliner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.