Blepharitis getting better

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had this condition for about 10 years and I'm about 99.9% sure it is in fact blepharitis. My eyelids are very dry and get crusty and red. What i've found over time is that getting the crusts out is very difficult and if I use products like dilluted baby shampoo, eyelid scrubs (overpriced), or anything else I've tried, it'll make my eyes terribly red and inflamed. I've read a million articles about blepharitis and most of them will note to take fish oil supplements. However, the thing about it is that through digestion, most of the anti-inflammitory properties in fish oil will be lost. I read on a forum about someone who tried cutting open the capsule and placing it directly on the lids and they said it would help. So I gave it a shot. What I noticed was that the oil breaks the crust up almost instantly so it's really easy to get off. Once I'm done with that I lightly dry up some of the oil from my lids but not all of it. It will make my vision pretty blurry so I only do it at night time so I can just rinse my lids when I shower in the morning. I do this a few times a week as well as taking the supplement orally and it's really been helping me out. The oil will also help keep your lids from getting dry like they will with other products. Also I've read that coconut oil will help with that as well. Try to avoid any products with long ingredients that you have no idea what they are. Also avoid anything with fragrance as this will burn a LOT. Look up "natural remedies for blepharitis" and you'll find things like sprinkling turmeric on your dinner for anti-inflamation or eating sweet potatoes. The key is anti-inflammatory and using products that won't dry your lids. I use some regular "redness reliever" eye drops from the pharmacy store as well to keep my eyes lubricated and from being red and it works too. I hope this helps and wish you all the best of luck with fighting this god awful disease. 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do you live in the uk? The redness reliever eye drops which brand are these please?
    • Posted

I live in the US but I think that any drops that help with minor irritation or dryness will work.
  • Posted

Try a shampoo product called 'Capasal', available on Amazon or by prescription, I got it for treating seborrheic dermatitis but found it fixed my blepharitis as well.  I use it every every morning in the shower.
  • Posted

I'm leery of putting anything oily in my eyes.... if that gets behind the

eyeballs could give you a serious problem.   My eye doc gives me

prescription Erythromycin ointment that I put on edge of lids and it

softens crust and makes it easier to get off....I've had this nightmare

problem for about 25 years and have never found anything that

really does a good, lasting job.

• Posted

If that is the case then I should probably just rinse out my eyes thoroughly afterwards. I've never heard of Erythromycin, thanks for the info!
    • Posted

Erythromycin is a prescription anti-biotic eye ointment.

You will need a script for it.  I'm in U.S.  Maybe called

something else in U.K. if that's where you are.

• Posted

thankyou dkc97 very informative can you buy redness reliever drops?

i have had the dreaded bleph for 2 years.

• Posted

You should be able to find them or something similar at a pharmacy store
  • Posted

Sounds familiar all of it...so sick  it.

I'm now on Restasis for sever dry eyes. My eyelids look great since suing Restasis. This medication is VERY $$$$$.

Which is another discussion about over priced medications in USA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.