Blepharitis- I want to tear my eyes out!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been following these forums for a while and felt compelled to post. I am a 42 year old male that has been battling Blepharitis for over 7 years.  It started with severe insomnia and stress in my life.  I thought once I fixed my life and my insomnia my eyes would get better.  Well guess what? I was wrong. I have tried everything from Wetones, baby shampoo, antibiotics, steam, oils, every eye drop you can imagine even dandruff shampoo.  Nothing works, nothing.  I just want to rip my eyes out.  This pain is so bad that I would cut off a toe or finger if it would make the pain go away.  These doctors just look at it and say oh it looks really inflamed try some natural drops or baby shampoo.  That’s like telling a cancer patient to take some aspirin and see how it goes.  If they only knew the pain I was in each day they would find a cure for this.  I refuse to accept that I am going to live the rest of my life like this.  Every hour I am awake I am in constant pain. I have now keep ice cubes with me and rub them on my eye lids whenever I can. That is the only thing that sooths them.  Please God find a cure for this I can’t go on much longer with this constant pain.  Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear this....I know the feeling.  I suffer as well.

Have you tried the warm compresses and have you tried steriods.

• Posted

Thank you!  Yes, I have tried both but the compresses are hard to do at work and the steroids are not a cure and make the skin weak if used for a long period of time. 
  • Posted

I would love to know what people do at work with this condition.  I go to my car at lunch and but ice on them, wet ones and drops.  Every batroom break (once an hour or more) I put warm water over my face and eyes.  All of it temporary.  I can't imagine being a woman with this condition and wearing makeup. For all the woman out there I really feel for you.  This must be the worst.
    • Posted

This condition is a real pain and I feel your pain.  When I was first told I had this condition my eyes burned and itched and my lids swelled. It seemed my eyes hurt more after I was diagnosed and started treating with baby shampoo, wet ones, and warm compresses.  Nothing seemed to work  After explaining my frustrations to Lynda (she is on the forums in regards to wet ones). She told me I didn't need to do all that I was doing. Wet ones replaced baby shampoo. Do one or the other not both.  I was over processing my eyes which was making it worse. There was no way I was never going to wear makeup again.  I refused to use drops or gels. I made it as simple as possible. Warm compresses in morning. I used cotton make up circles. At first I used steril water. I dipped and soaked my closed eyes over and over for about 10 min. Waited about an hour or so then did the wet ones three times a day. Then weened to two then once a day for the wet ones. It took me a year for the eye dr to tell me he didn't see the blepharitis anymore. I don't need wet ones anymore. I use baby shampoo to take off my makeup and to Maintain my eye health. 

You don't say exactly where you feel the pain. Is it around your eyelashes.  Does it feel like it is coming from inside your eye ball or behind it. Or do you feel it in the corner of your eyes by your tear drains. That is where I felt my pain. It would hurt when I read a book, on the computer to long or cried. I also used a 10x mirror and inspected every part of my eyes everyday and I still do. I want to see if and where there is an issue.  I used q tips dipped in warm water and rubbed my lash line to sooth them. If my tear drains hurt. I used q tips and warm water to sooth them. I change my pillow cases every two days and wash my sheets and blankets every week.  This has helped my greatly. I do not want my blepharitis to come back. I hope my story will help you in someway

• Posted

This has been very helpful. I think that I might need to cut back on how much I am trying at Once.. It is hard to be patient and it's hard to know how long to stick with one thing. 

My pain is at the corners of my eyes and under my eyes is red and irritated. I bought a Bausch and Lomb eye mask that heats up in the microwave and I find that easier to use than wet compresses. I will try using only the WetOnes after that a few times a day. Did you have raw irritated skin below your eyes? I also do clean my eyebrows. 

I have been changing pillow cases every other day and have always washed sheets and coverlet once a week.

Thanks so much for sharing. 

• Posted

lawra, wrap a tiny peice of the wet one around the end of a q tip and only wipe the rip of your eyelid. hen it won't be so dry under your eye.
    • Posted

Thanks again for your advice, I have stated doing as you suggested and I think it is helping. Very generous sharing of good advice on this site.
    • Posted

I have never tried a heated eye mask.  I only used warm water for my condition.  At first I used steril water. But when I went away for a few days, I used warm tap water instead and it made my eyes worse. It was like I was starting over again. This made me determined to get my eyes use to using regular tap water instead.  It took about two weeks for the wet ones to really make my eyes feel better.  I remember stopping thinking I was cured after a few weeks. That was a mistake. It came back with a vengeance.  I had to start over yet again.  It took about a year to get an all clear from my doctor.  My eyes hurt in the corners also. The upper lash line corner towards my nose would swell and hurt.  I would use a q tip and warm tap water to sooth the area. I figured that the water would also wash away any thing that was clogging or irritating my lash line. Then a while later I would tear a strip of wet one and wrap it around my finger to form a little point in the cloth and only apply it to my lash line. It is harder to apply to the upper lashes especially in the corners that is why I used a 10x mirror. And I did each lash line twice at each treatment. I didn't have any irritation under my eyes because I only treated my lash line. I kept it direct and simple.

If you see that your treatment is working stick with it. Especially in the beginning don't stop like I did.  I felt great for about a week and a half.  Than it came back worse.  As time goes by you will know when you can lessen your treatment.  Even though I don't use the wet ones any longer. I still do the q tip washes with baby shampoo on my lash line.   I hope what worked for me will also help others.  

• Posted

I gave up makeup and caring how I look. I just want it to go away. Yes working with this is difficult, no one understands.
  • Posted

Hello... I feel your pain. My 6 yr old son suffers the same. What he finds soothes his is dentanox eye wipes from tescos and a warm flannel. Sorry im not much help. Just wanted to reply to let you know i feel for u x
    • Posted

Oh no a 6 year old!  I can't even imagine the poor baby.  How does a baby get this condition?  I am so sorry to hear that. I will look up the eye wipes but I am in the United States and we don't have Tesco here yet.
    • Posted

I dont even no how sad he has to wear glasses also as he has sight problems. He does get alot of eye infections like conjunctivitis do you suffer with infections? Sometimes he just crys and scratches his eyes so much. The doctors dont seem to care! X
    • Posted

If you cant find dentanox wipes. Try blephaclean wipes they are great and they also do eye washes. Maybe amazon stock them x
    • Posted

That is so sad Rachel. No I don't get any infections or have any issues like that.  No, the doctors don't seem to care even private ones I have been too.  Keep look for solutions and don't give up.  I hope your little guy is OK.
    • Posted

Yes, I see both of those wipes on Amazon.  I will give them both a try.
    • Posted

Thank u. Blepha does a whole range from gels to lotion i hope you find something that works for u! Ive also just come across on google a heated eyepad mask for when you go to bed it helps for blepharitis and the reviews are good im going to buy one for my little boy x its called EyeSoothe Blepharitis Heat Eye Mask. Its on amazon x
    • Posted

I will have a look at the heated mask but cold seems to numb it out better for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.