Blepharitis Pain??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

About 6 months ago, I came into contact with a lot of dust from some very old loft insulation. Ever since the incident my eyes have been through the wars from burning, tearing, stining etc and have been on a number of different drops and sprays etc and am quite happy now with Hylo-Tear to help the dry eye problems. About a month ago I noticed a dull nauseating pain coming from the the outer corner of the right upper eyelid (lacrimal gland I believe) and it really made me feel depressed as could not see anything wrong with the eyes or surrounding area from the outside. I went to the doctor who said that it could be a bit of "hysteria" due to all the agony I have been through with these eyes and sent me on my way which I was not impressed with. I decided to then, a few weeks laster, to go to A&E eye unit at my nearest hospital as wanted to get an answer as to what my eye problem is, he took a look under a slit lamp and said that I have "Blepharitis" and said to have regular warm compresses, clean eyelids (even though they don't look red and no crusting). I have now been doing what he said but now the same pain that took me in my right eye happened in my left and really pushed me to the lowest of the low. It has eased but I live in fear / panic of the pain coming back in either of both. I want to go back to the hospital but scared they may push me away and say you are just making it worse by panicking all the time. Can someone tell me if this kind of pain is normal with Blepharitis and why has it only started 6 months down the line. Also, is it really "Blepharitus"; as I don't have any crusting on my eyelashes or redness / dryness of my eyelids at all. They look perfectly healthy. I am really at my wits end with all this and fear that I could lose my job and everything at this rate, as I am just so severely depressed over this sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know how debilitating unknown eye trouble can be. I went through a similar problem including several misdiagnoses. My issues involved excessive tearing, small amounts of stringy discharge, burning, light sensitivity and a persistent pain in the corner of my eye ( namely the lacrimal caruncle). First I was told bacterial conjunctivitis and sinus infection and treated for those. Symptoms continued. Then I was told viral conjunctivitis and treated with a steroid drop. This was in fact true however the viral conjunctivitis began to recur over and over. I had to quit my job and my loved ones began to think I was insane! I also have extremely poor vision so I was miserable! This went on for over a year. I likewise became quite depressed. I went to a new opthalmologist and a simple test determined I had a clogged tear duct. The lack of tear drainage/tears pooling in my eye was causing tear residue to become stagnant causing infection, ie recurrent conjunctivitis. A simple probe was performed that day in his office clearing the duct and my eye health has been restored ever since. This may not be the case with you but you never know!! If nothing else I wish you the best and hope you can get some peace.
    • Posted

Hi Abaumy,

I am basically at my wits end now as on Thursday I went to see a third opthalmologist who said he could not see any signs of blepharitis but said my eyes are severely dry. It sent me for a schirmers test and the result was a 0. So now I am on Dexamathasone and Hylo Forte drops to see if this makes it more comfortable. Very interesting on the blocked tear duct, but not sure if that is my problem as I don't suffer with any watery eyes at all, even though I would love to, but I will mention this to my GP and see what he has to say on it. I am so happy you are finally back to normal and I so pray the same happens to me too. I am sure that most people's eye problems are something so daft, but we just don't have enough decent eye experts out there that can see this (pardon the pun)

I am thinking mine is more a sinus infection as I have pressure / pain feeling around my nose temple and top of cheeks and when any wind hits my eyes, this flares up big style. My GP is referring me on to an ENT to check this side now and I hope we get to the bottom of it. Thank you as this has given me some hope smile

• Posted

Sorry, but a quick question for you. When you started to get this, was this a sudden onset after dealing with a lot of dust and dirt? As it has got me thinking because mine came on straight away after dealing with some very old loft insulation, so this could now well be the problem. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hello, it seems like I have the same problem in my left eye. I went to many eye doctors and none came up with the right diagnosis or solution. Did you solve your problem? If so, what is it?

Thank you,

Andrea

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

I am much better these days thanks to Acupuncture. It took about 10 sessions but now the soreness is 60% gone make the rest bearable. There are the odd days every so often when it comes back, but it is only short lived.

Also, I use Blephaclean wipes twice daily along with some dry eye mist which I use on occasion. I in addition to this, I take 2000mg of flax seed oil which really helps too.

Personally start off by taking flax seed oil, although it can take a few months for it to work, and maintain your lid hygiene.

Unfortunately I have come to realise it will not fully go but anything to make every day more bearable is good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.