Bloating after every single meal.

Posted , 24 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with IBS for some time now. My bloating is the worst I have ever seen on anyone, at first it was my lower bowl that was bloated but recently it's moved up to my stomach and has become 10x worse. I've also put two stone on in the past year (don't know if these are related?) and i'm burping a lot more.

I have a very active lifestyle, I cycle 8 miles a day during the week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week and eat a very healthy balanced diet (over the summer 2014 was more unhealthy so made a big change). I have museli or porridge with a banana for breakfast, an apple at around 11, salad with bulgur wheat, brown rice or lentils for lunch and then usually a stir fry or wholeweat pasta for dinner (bulghur wheat, lentils and pasta, and bread have all been cut out now). I also avoid diary as much as possible (recently cut it out completely in exhange for almond milk).

This morning I had porridge made with almond milk and banana with chia, flax and golden linseeds AND I'M BLOATED !!!

The doctor has tested my blood and stools for coelic and infections but all came back negative. I've been sent to the nutritionist who is referring me to go on FODMAP, but I have been trying to follow that until the appointment and still no help there. I've been drinking lots of water, taking peppermint capsules and warm lemon water and I'm still bloated.

I have an IUD coil fitted and asked the nurse practioner if it could be that, which she said no. Thing that worries me is we have both breast and ovarian cancer in my family, my mother died of ovarian cancer 10 years ago, but the doctors don't seem to think that's particularly important. Mind you he hasn't even looked/felt my stomach, but referred me to gastro so I guess they'll do that.

I'm so down and depressed with these symptoms, I'm literally doing everything to try and stop the bloating but nothing is working.

I went gluten free for over a year which helped, but I still got bloated. The doctor said that it was probably reducing the amount of fibre I was getting so I introduced it back into my diet (big mistake) 

The only time I don't get bloated is when I don't eat anything at all. My grandmother suggested I try the 5:2 diet to give my bowl a rest but I don't think it's a particularly healthy diet to be on, I tried it and my stomach was flat until I ate the next day.

Anyone got any solutions? I literally cry every day about this at the moment! I can't cope anymore!

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i am not surprized your doing everything right it so frustrating for you .

you could be reacting to the copper in the coil some women do

have you tried using coconut products .

oil and milk instead of almond 

have you tried reducing the amount of fibre to much is not good makes your stomach over work .

have you tried eating boiled fish and chicken and lamb these are all easy to digest .and maybe rice noodles . cloves aid digestion add it to  a hot drink of your choice

have you thought about other diets like the combination diet ..and akaline diets 

the 2 /5 diet isent bad for you its quite good for you a lot of asian cultures use it it is good to give your bowls a rest .from work  but  one day  aweek or having a day or two where  were you have light foods like clear soup  .

The latest craze for stomach health is bone broth , made from organic beef bones,or chicken carcus. its all over the net and a big in America 

its not knew it was done in my grans day and they had good digestion 

a cup a day keeps the doctor away my gran used to say . worth a try 

its the collegen in the marrow of the bones that helps heal the stomach .

its worth a try . 

• Posted

Its all so complicated lve discovered after reading gastritus thread on diets, supplaments, alternatives. lve been getting bloating for several months or more, on and off, when bloated l feel uncomoftable and do burp a lot, but also get nausea with it, and cant eat normally, so have small plain snacks. l saw gastro and had scope showing bit of inflammation, he also stated l,d ibs, always thought l,d that before bloating. Your diet sounds very healthy and normal but not sure its right if youve gastritus, if you look in on gastritus thread, they know more than me, ines is usually on with advice. Mine is moderate bloating, but many years ago it was huge for a short time, soon before l got diagnosis of intersticial cystitus, but think it might have been due to excessive anti bs and meds given for symptoms before diagnosis, as also over run with thrush, immune balance all to pot. Like you l,m trying lactose free at present, just got almond milk, yog, cheese lf to try.

Many lose weight with gastric probs so more unusual to put it on, guess some do, they say some have slow digestion in passing food through,leading to symptoms,

Shame gps often dont bother to get out of their chairs and do exams now, l recall years ago theyd check your pulse tongue eyes as well as exam, but the gastrologist will examine you before any tests, so hope youve not to wait long or let doc know how your feeling.  Although salad is healthy, and l love it, but not sure its easy to digest, if you check on gastritus thread theyre more up on it than me.  Hope you get help soon,

• Posted

Yeah salad isn't easy to digest but I just don't know what else to eat at lunch times if i'm supposed to be avoiding onions, so can't have soup, avoid wheat, so can't have sandwhiches, what else am I supposed to eat?!

So fustrating sad

• Posted

Brown bread is better than white if you must eat bread at all! As for lentils I thought we all knew these are not for your problem! try giving up breakfast altogether and eat just half a natural yoghourt mid morning. Lunch you could have fish in the oven NOT fried. Evenings thinly sliced and grilled calves liver and ship vegetables that cause wind. Carrots, endives and tomatoes are good. But remember: Wherever you are, whever you be, always let your wind go free!  It is bad for you not to let go. Let others worry about themselves....
    • Posted

with normal digestion whole meal is better but if you have digestion peroblems it can make matters worse .

i cant eat it since i have had fibro 

• Posted

ps, The coil,s dont suit everyone, l,d to have one taken out, its worth a try without it if symptoms started simular time. good luck
  • Posted

i have been suffering from IBS and bloating for a lifetime. The only milk I can take (in moderation) is lactose free. No almond or soy. I avoid nuts, meat and raw veggies. No fiber breads. The only bread I can digest is a good white artisanal loaf, VEERY well toasted. Rice krispies is the only cereal I can digest. Pasta and rice are well tolerated.  I juice (vitamix) a lot of fruit and veggies and I cook a lot of soups, I cook my own apple compote with cinnamon ...You have to go back to a toddler diet. It doesn't take away the whole bloating but it does help a big lot!

Go online and look for the FODMATS diet. When I read it it was like... this is what took me a lifetime to discover! why is this not more spread? why was I told, even by doctors, to keep eating fiber? one size doesn't fit all!

I eat Buffalo Mozzarella with moderation and I eat eggs wich I have for breakfast almost every day.

• Posted

I have food intolerance ibs and also have followed low Fodmap for 2 years with success but I mote you have apple which is fructose so ii would cut that out and maybe flax as very fibrous x onions and milk products worse for me so check there is no whey powder in cereal. Apples will cause acid too which explains burping x I insisted on stool test and found I had an intestinal bug so insist you get them analysed! Was on anti biotics but still lactose and fructose is a major issue so I avoid it. Try gluten free bread and lactose free butter and avoid stoned fruit and tomatoes and onions xx
    • Posted

Yes, you are right about apples, but I dont eat lots of them and the fact that they are cooked instead of row, helps!  and its a way to add good cinnamon into my diet!
    • Posted

Yup had a stool test which came back negative sad

Was gluten free but still got bloated and was advised not to eat gluten free foods unless you have cealiacs.. 

• Posted

have your bread but always toast it, it makes a whole difference!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.