Blood clots and sluggish blood

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back in July 2014 I was diagnossed with a DVT. A big one - four inches long behind the knee. Many years ago I'd had a DVT and a PE, but came off Warfarin after a few years. Clearly, now, I need to stay on the Warfarin.

My first DVT was different. I had extreme pain when walking. I could only walk a few yards before having to rest, rather like a Flamingo standing on one leg. With this recent DVT I had pain in the leg but I could keep walking. Hence I did not think (at first) that it was a DVT. When I went to my GP, she thought the pain was muscular, but sent me for a D-Dimer blood test to exclude DVT.

Leading up to that point, I had been suffering depression. Sure, the depression had a number of 'causes' but it became worse as a result of what I felt was my body packing up. Gradually I was less able to function - becoming slower, lethargic and unable to function. At the time, I put it down to worsening depression.

When the DVT was diagnosed, I was put onto Heparin and Warfarin. Within three days of starting treatment, not only had the pain in my leg gone, but I felt much less depressed. After a month, I did not feel depressed at all. I told my psychiatrist that I was better and she effectively signed me off. And that was that. So I thought.

Then the other day I got a letter from the DVLA telling me that my driving license was revoked on medical grounds. Their decision was based on a GP report, but my GP had not seen me since June, and was of the opinion that I was still 'unwell' (Severe depression). Far from it. I was better, in my opinion thanks to Warfarin.

Shortly after starting on the Warfarin, my pharmasist (who knows me well) told me that I was outwardly much better, and she commented that it was probably due to being on Warfarin. She explained that (obviously) Warfarin thins the blood, and that in turn leads to better circulation. I came to think that it was too coincidental that within days of starting on Warfarin, my depression lifted, and the two are connected.

I am not qualified to link the two, but a little exploration on Google has led me to believe that they are connected. ie Sluggish blood can lead to lethargy etc which in turn can cause depression. If my hypothesis is correct, I think that there should be greater awareness of how sluggish blood may lead health care professionals to misdiagnose illness. In my case it has led to months of depression culminating in the loss of my driving license. I now have a tremendous battle to get my license back.

I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on this be it lay persons or health professionals.

Cheers,

Pete

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi MeerB

I have just googled too, I think you need to go back to your gp and show the sign off sheet from the psychiatrist, and get one from the gp. I work with someone who had PE's and she was off work with depression and anxiety, she drives to other offices up and down the country, she's on warfarin for life.

I've never heard of anything so silly. Of course if your legs weren't working properly you wouldn't drive a manual car but to take your licence away for dvt which has not made you disabled is a farce.Get that appointment booked!

• Posted

Saz, Thanks for the reply. The reason they revoked my license was because of what they thought was severe depression which was not responding to treatment. They didn't revoke the license because of the DVT. My link with the depression is the thick/sticky blood.
  • Posted

Disgusted with your doc for not having the courage or manners to tell you that she was turning you in to revoke your license.  I would fire her immediately, find a better doc who will be honest and forthcoming with all your treatment options and about concerns regarding your life.  Remember, they work for you, not the other way around.  If the govt can go around and revoke the license of every depressed person, there would never be much traffic on the roads!  Another example of the govt being in the very minutia of our lives based on another person's perception of your well being.  I take meds for depression and without them, I become almost non-human, suicidal, empty and I cannot help that, hence I stay on the Paxil.  Sluggish blood is just another reason docs misdiagnosis their patients.  They want you in and out of their office and I have witnessed many a doc who just did not care any longer.  Sure, insurance companies have made their lives a living hell but if they don't like their profession, they can go into just about any field they want and get another, less stressful job.  I have often wished that every doc had to go thru a serious depression or illness so they could be compassionate towards their patients.  We deserve that and more and when one is depressed, it is very hard to advocate for yourself effectively.  Try bringing a close friend or significant other to your doc appts.  Before you ever walk thru the doc's door, have all your information, drugs you take, including supplements, what allergies you have, all your symptoms and how they affect you, what you can or cannot do since the onset of your depression, etc.  When you are sick and depressed, you cannot remember all this stuff at appt time.  Update your lists as needed and get copies made for each doc.  It will make your life a lot simpler and less stressful.  Hang in there.  While depression is very depressing, it can be made better with the right treatment, therapy, love and understanding.  People love to blame a person who is depressed but don't listen to that BS.  You are still a worthy person and don't forget that.  Thinking of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.