Blood in stool colonoscopy. Weirdest experience!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 20 year old female who has returned from the depths of University with the most screwed up system ever! whether it's because I get constipated alot, or I've just had too many hangovers, my body decided to turn on me! Uni life is very difficult, especially when it comes to eating properly, but as my first year ended and I returned home, the symptons of stomach/back pain, tingly hands (did anyone else get this) and then finally bloody stool all started to kick in! Typical.... sad 

I ended up having many trips to the doctors, aswell as an ultrasound on my stomach due to orginally turning down the colonscopy. I just couldnt face the emabrassment of my bum being prodded and looked at! I felt like I was too young to be going through all this. 

But after reading the comments on here, and seeing people say things like: 'nobody wants a colonoscopy, but it has to be done', I sucked it up and booked an appointment! Blood in my stool was a serious issue, and the word 'cancer' was spinning around in my head.

The night before the procedure: Im probably the weird and only one but i thought the Citrimax solution tasted really refreshing, aswell as filling! (I WAS BLOODY STARVING). My 3 cups of oxo kinda helped with hunger pains.... But yeah, the pooping lasted all evening, eventually turning into clear liquid. (Unless you drink 3 cups of brown oxo). My advice though, if you're like me and you HATE people hearing you on the loo, try and claim a toilet in the house and run the shower whenever you go to cover up any noise. Being comfortable is the best way to get it all out. :P

Day of the procedure: I had never been so hungry and tired in my life before, leaving me to feel incredibly weak and shaky. Because of this, I felt so carefree when I was at the hospital, dying to get it over and done with. Although, that all changed as soon as I walk into the procedure room..... The darkness of the room suddenly hits you - something serious is about to go dooown! The lovely nurses help ease your mind though, asking you lots of questions about yourself. When I finally got lead on the bed, the practitioner wasted no time in getting his finger inside my bum.... Now that hurt! He then quickly followed in with the camera which suprisingly wasn't too bad, until he hit the corners! Forgot to mention, I was on gas and air, which I chose out of bravery. Sedation felt time wasting, especially as my procedure was to last only 15 mins. Not gunna lie, it damn hurt!! But it was only for a few seconds, and the gas did make me feel high, a feeling I quite enjoyed actually, haha! The practitioner was patient with me and stopped whenever I asked, he also kept informing me when he was about to enter a tight bit (which makes you scream STOP/OWW)! Everyone is going to experience someone different. I think I got lucky with this guy! 

Results: Turns out there was no sign of polyps or cancer, or anything really! Big relief! It was decided that I probably had internal hemorrhoids and some slight tearing. 

Now i'm back home, i'm experiencing some discomfort in my abdomen, but that will hopefully ease up in the next few days. It has definitely been the weirdest and most painful experience in my life so far, but i'm yet to experience childbirth, so.... we'll see. Haha. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So pleased you We're to go - I am 63 yrs and I too panicked. I had 2 miscarriages an rotini can -,why went on to nave twins sand another 2 more - but the thought of someone touching me seemed aeon. Anyway had mine wen essay

Fantast room Fantastic nurses a g doctors

Had 3 polyps band as but never felt

So everyone going take deep breath and go xx (I was allowed to suck boiled sweets to save feeling horrible

Xx

• Posted

I apologise to everyone for that unreadable reply . My phone was being very naughty - Hope you can make out the basic x
    • Posted

Haha, it's okay, I think I understood what you were talking about smile  xx
  • Posted

allWell done polly. Glad to hear tHe procedure wasn't too bad but even better to hear your results were all good

x

• Posted

Yes, massive relief! Just need to eat better I think smile Thanks for your support! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.