Blood in Urine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am definitely freaking out a bit. I am 38 years old and have had blood in my urine for the last three months. About a month ago I went to the doctor and he did the dip test in his office and found traces of blood. So he had me do blood work for my kidneys and submit another sample to send to the lab. The labwork cameback clear of everything. Not even blood even though I swear I saw it when I was filled the cup. He told me to wait to a couple weeks and comeback. It hasn't gone away in fact it's even a bit worse, more red and he is now sending me to the urologist. He told me he didn't think there way anything to be concerned about.

I have about a week and a half till my appointment and all I can think is that this is bladder cancer cause I have no symptoms other than blood. Any chance this could be something other than cancer so at least I calm down a bit till my appointment?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your GP should send a urine specimen for cytology testing. This will put your mind at rest by eliminating cancer. Why there should be blood in your water I don't know. Takes a urologist to answer that.

• Posted

I have had the same as you, for the same length of time! two urines samples came back clear of infection but with traces of blood(invisible to the eye). I knew this as I dipped them at home prior to taking them to GP. So, no infection but blood traces. I was referred to urology for cystoscopy to check for leaking blood vessels in bladder, also cysts or stones. This won't be for about 8 weeks so I am stressing about all the possibilities in the meantime. I think if it was cancer then the cells would be in urine sample that went to lab. At least I hope so. My Gp said that some people just have this and a reason is never found. When we get a bit older our kidneys don't filter as well and can let some red blood cells through. That is what she told me today. Try not to stress, your appointment must be almost here. Don't forget to update when you have been, i'd be interested to hear the outcome. x

• Posted

I have had the same as you, for the same length of time! two urines samples came back clear of infection but with traces of blood(invisible to the eye). I knew this as I dipped them at home prior to taking them to GP. So, no infection but blood traces. I was referred to urology for cystoscopy to check for leaking blood vessels in bladder, also cysts or stones. This won't be for about 8 weeks so I am stressing about all the possibilities in the meantime. I think if it was cancer then the cells would be in urine sample that went to lab. At least I hope so. My Gp said that some people just have this and a reason is never found. When we get a bit older our kidneys don't filter as well and can let some red blood cells through. That is what she told me today. Try not to stress, your appointment must be almost here. Don't forget to update when you have been, i'd be interested to hear the outcome. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.