Blood on toilet paper - is it a sign?

Posted , 5 users are following.

A few weeks ago I took a, lets say a stool which particularly strained me. Nothing out of the ordinary and my bowel movements have been fine since then. But I wiped particularly hard and it left a pain in my lower crack, right on the line from the anus to the scrotum, but shockingly I noticed minoscule, tiny bits of blood on the toilet paper. This went on for about a week but this bleeding would only start after a few wipes. This has stopped since then but I can't stop thinking about it. Even though it's late should I still see a doctor? I am very concerned.

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like hemorrhoids. A few things to keep in mind:

1. Bright red blood means the blood is coming from lower in the bowels, like the anus.

2. Black, tarry stool is cause for concern as it is likely originating from higher in the GI tract.

3. It is reassuring that the bleeding as stopped.

4. Since it was only small amounts of blood at a time I wouldn't be overly concerned, especially since you said it hurts when you wipe.

If the bleeding returns or worsens, see your GP for an exam. They will ask you about the same things I pointed out, and may do a quick rectal exam (don't worry its not that bad and its super quick and easy). Likely based on what you've written it is not necessary, but its always best to check it out if things persist.

All the best.

• Posted

Just to say that your advice no. 1 - about the red blood - maybe from a text book but is misleading.  I had surgery for bowel cancer last May 2016.  My symptoms were, bright red blood and loose stools.  Found a fast growing cancerous polyp nearly at stage 2 - so I was lucky, early detection.  On referal - I was told it was possibly and likely to be piles - but was given the choice to have a colonoscopy, thank god I chose the later.  Thats why my op was successful.  So an edit at the No. 1 paragraph may be appropriate.  I know you are trying to be reassuring and helpful, but a late detection ie stage 3 or 4 is devastating regarding prognosis with bowel cancer. My blood symptoms were the colour of pilla box red. Regards.  a surving bowel cancer blogger. xx
  • Posted

This could the reason for pyles I think. One of my friend had same problem. And after checking dortor's are saying that he suffereing from pyles.

• Posted

Hi tommy.  Hope you have resoved this and have attended the doctors.  I had bowel cancer symptoms,  slight blood on the toilet paper and over a few months progressing to more blood, very red in colour.  Also I was attending the toilet with very loose stools, mainly first thing in the morning. ie 3 times within an hour. So went to the doctors, got referred.  I was on examination (rectal) offered the choice of a colonectomy, the surgeion suggesting it could be "piles".  For me, new that was probably not the case, -- ie do not strain on the toilet ect.  Good roughage in my diet throughout my life - now 56.  So had the colonectomy, they found one fast growing polyp.  This early detection saved my life - it was nearly at stage 2.  Bowel cancer is one of the best cancers to have prognosis wise if detected early.  I had the surgery in May last year, and also mild chemotherepy to ensure no other cancer cells were lurking about.  Any doubts, do not be advised that you may have "piles", opt for the colonoscopy - early detection is essesential for a good outcome with this.  Hope this helps.  xx

• Posted

Amyjoe again.  Just to give you an idea about the "time line" of symptoms.  Mine began in 2015 around September, tiny bit of blood, gradually increasing only slightly until around February 2016.  Then I began to rule out beetroot in my morning juice or indian curries as the culprit.  Getting worse still having ruled out these food groups.  So if your symptoms persist and you have a 2 month history, please do not put this off.   An early detection gets you back to normal, the best cancer to have with this scenario.  Hope this is helpful. xx

• Posted

Hello ,tommy ,

Actually o am having same problem from the last month when I smooked too much  with friends in a party and after that when I go to use bathroom I found fresh blood coming out from anus like tap water ,after that I used some cream as I was thinking that it might be due to dryness ,but the same case repeat after 15 days but now the case is different I didn’t smoke after that but used high antibiotics for sever fever due to throat infection, I am sharing some of my personal medical history ,plzz read this and give me suggestion as I also belong to medical field but my profession is Pharm 

Hard stool problem from about 7 years for which I used too many times laxatives prescribed by the doctors , 

Smooker but not regular 

Acidic (stomach acidity )

30 year of age 

57 KG WIEHT WITH NORMAL BLOOD AND SUGAR LEVEL 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.