Blood results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am hoping somebody can help with my blood results please. I have had many of they symptoms for a few months now and they are gradually getting worst. I haven't seen the doctor since my blood results but the receptionist told me I have to wait six months for another test. My results were:

TSH 4.92 (0.27-4.2) range

Serum free T4 11.5 (9.0-26.0) range

I had the blood tests done without fasting.

Thanks, Lucy x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your results don't seem too bad but the TSH is slightly high which could account for your symptoms (hypothyroid).See the doc and discuss medication.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, unfortunately, TSH doesn't always spike above normal with thyroid disease, even if the disease is advanced. You'll want to get additional tests done, or get a second opinion from an endocrinologist.

• Posted

Your TSH is quite high. I was giving off textbook hypothyroid symptoms when I got my blood test and mine came back at 4.68. Your missing one integral part of this blood test and that is your T3 and Reverse T3 to see how efficiently your body is converting the non-active form of T3 to the active form.
    • Posted

Hi Jane and Patricia, I was horrible on the levo. It seems to show up in the blood work, but my guess is that it isn't biologically active, since the hypothyroid symptoms only got worse while I was on it.

Yes the rT3 is important because if this is elevated, you'll be hypothyroid even if the other tests  don't show it. There's a calculation for dosing using rT3 compared with T3 values.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.