Blood results help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Serum ferritin level 50ng/ml (10-322)

Serum foliate level 2ng/ml (5.4-24)

Serum free T4 level 14.5pmol/L (10-20)

Serum TSH level 12.9miu/L (0.2-4

Haemoglobin Alcester level lfcc standardised 43 mmol/molecular (20-41

Serum vitamin B12 level 307ng/L (211-911

I know I have underatctive thyroid just wondering if anyone can see if is hashimoto or something else. this test was done about 5 days ago.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hashimoto's often has only mild spike in TSH. Yours is pretty high. My guess would be Grave's.

its one or the other. Both are autoimmune, both have the same medical treatment. 

It it might be worthwhile to do a search and compare them to get a better sense of what you're dealing with.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.I have had underactive thyroid for about 2 years struggling to take levo I am on 75mg and have to see doctor next week for my blood results.And more than likey he's going to ask me to up them witch will make me ill like last time I up them.It's taken me nearly 2 years to get to 70mg.I have to brake a 25mg in to 4 and do it gradually.I have constabation and when I eat meals my belly feels heavy and all ways making rublling noise and fell dizzy and just dort feel right on till it go's away.

• Posted

I thought you would be interested in the following....arecyou taking iron and folate?

We are a society that wants everything at warp speed...thyroid is ploddingly slow.

If I make a change in thyroid medication today, my blood will not show the full results of that change for 6 weeks. It is preferred to gradually increase every 6 weeks because if you overshoot optimum, the symptoms of hyper are going to be just as troubling as those of hypo are. So once T4 and TSH were where my endocrinologist wanted them, she increased T3 only. Think radio station, you have reception... and static. So you fine tune the reception with T3 and lose the static.

Pertaining to those patients on Levothyroxine-Synthroid (T4), about half of those patients will feel great improvement if their T3 is about 75% of normal range, for me that level is about 3.7.

T4 (Thyroxine), named for it's 4 iodine atoms, maintains a relatively stable blood level and is therefore termed long acting.

T3 (Triiodothyronine), named for it's 3 iodine atoms, fluctuates and is therefore termed short acting.

Let us ingest T4 (Thyroxine, brand name Levothyroxine-Synthroid ) Through chemical reaction, our body takes in T4 and converts the T4 into T3 (Triiodothyronine) through chemical reaction. In other words, our body takes 4 iodine atoms and converts the 4 iodine atoms into a new compound with only 3 iodine atoms.

So from a strick biological & chemical viewpoint, many say if I can use one chemical compound (T4) to make the other chemical compound (T3) in the body, I only need to administer the T4.

BUT many studies have shown that about half of the patients on T4 feel better taking both T4 and T3.

NEWS FLASH

Armour's Thyroid versus Synthroid...the mystery revealed.

One grain of ARMOUR'S THYROID is 60 mg.

Each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains .038 mg (or 38 mcg) of T4

AND each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains 9 mcg of T3 , plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

SYNTHROID is all T4

which explains why the addition of CYTOMEL (which is all T3) makes fifty percent or so of SYNTHROID users feel so much better.

Remember T3 is a short half life which is why T4 is prescribed as the backbone of treatment...some of us do not effectively metabolize T4 into T3. For these individuals, supplemental T3 should be considered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.