blood test

Posted , 9 users are following.

i thought only gp could order blood test, mine does mine every three months is this normal please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I suppose it depends on each surgery, i just make an appt at desk with nurse every month as i like to see whats happening if its up it usually says spk to Dr.
  • Posted

Margaret, I cannot believe that is correct, as hospitals are always requiring blood tests to be taken. Also anyone can order a blood test privately provided they pay of course.

I usually book my own at the surgery. My GP does not tell me when I should have it. She just knows I will organise it every couple of months or when I feel I need a check before reducing.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

So far since March I've had 4 but I'm thinking it will lessen once I stabilize

and I'm hoping I do.  I bought a kit to check my own blood sugar and another for cholesterol but I don't think there is one available for SED RATE or CRP.

When you refer to surgery is that your hospital?  Here in the States it

means an operation so I was a little confused for a bit.

• Posted

Surgery is the word used in the UK for a doctor's office. It is also often called a "practice".
  • Posted

My doctor insists I have a blood test every month - and that is after 3 1/2 years.  It really does depend on the surgery.

C.💐

• Posted

My doc left a standing order for me.  I just copy that paper and go

in every 3-4 weeks.   He looks at results of Sed rate and someone

calls and tells me to reduce or stay the same.   I usually just pick

my own time.  Lots easier to let me control my blood test.

• Posted

Interesting discussion...my GP sent me to a rheumatologist very shortly after my positive GCA biopsy. The two docs fax all of my test results to each other. The rheumy is in charge of all aspects of GCA and he has a specific protocol. I see him once a month for first year and he runs various tests. My sed rate is great but not CRP so he will retest before tapering again. He checks bone density, blood sugar,etc regularly and I had a weird aorta check. He has me on tons of liquid, no sugar and few carbs. I have this far made no decisions because his protocol seems terrific and is working. I am in Va, USA. Love my little shower chair. I am always exhausted,too. Must rest now!! Ann11195

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.