Blood test for ana negative

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a lot of the symptoms for sjorgens, very dry mouth, gum disorders, joint pain but my ana was negative does that mean I don''t hve it. My hands feel like it might be arthritis and  I hve sore ribs.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather, You're one of many who are seronegative but still have the condition! There are others on these boards who know more than me about how to get diagnosed, and I'm sure one or other of them will come in soon.

• Posted

The answer is that you can still have it but it just makes it less likely. Mine was negative when tested a year ago (I was on steroids and had taken DMARDs for RA) but once off everything my ANA came back positive - although not specifically for Sjogren's. In fact it had a nucleolar pattern more indicative of Scleroderma.

But I had a lip biopsy done a month ago at the rheumy's request abs this has come back difinitively positive for Sjogren's. The other very clear indicator of Sjogren's was that I've had a raised to very high ESR and CRP for at least five years - not really relating to RA signs or symptoms. According to ARUK this is very common with Sjogren's so if you haven't already had blood tests done for inflammation then it would be a good idea to get them done too.

• Posted

You might want to submit to a biopsy of lip cells, inside ones.  I had this done.  But actually you should have a dr. taking in your symptoms and that is sufficient for most who have seen it before and are experienced.  Have you gone to a Rheumatologist?  If not get a referal because they deal with these auto-immune issues.  I have the dryness everywhere now after 20 years and while there are over the counter remedies, you do need a prescription for restasis because that will help the dry eyes specifically.  Another professional you need to see is an opthamologist to see if your corneas are becoming scarred by the dryness.  This happens slowly.  For the mouth, if I am  not constantly able to sip something handy, then find a lozange you like and can keep in your mouth to stimulate saliva.  Because dry mouth creates a worse environment for bacteria and thus cavities, you need to inform your dentist and be seen twice a year.  There are mouth washes an toothpaste that boasts better results for dry mouth, also gum, but to help you keep your teeth and mouth in good shape, floss or get a water pic.  I had sore ribs, sounds like RA.  Go get a referral to a Rheumy.  THere are some joint issues with the sicca)dryness) but it can also mean you have brewing RA.  The sooner you are treated the better the outcome
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies, at the moment I am under an orthopedic doctor cos I fractured my shoulder in January and he now wants to put pins in but last week went to neurologist cos my hands and knuckle joints stiff dr thought it might b nerve damage but it was ok he said he wld refer me to rheumologist cos he thought it cld be arthritis but silly me said I wld wait and see the ortho dr in sept, feel a bit like a moaner.
    • Posted

Heather, see if they'll let you change your mind and see the rheumatologist after all. Obviously you need to keep up with the ortho doctor in view of your shoulder injury, but it's the rheumatologist who'll have the best overview of your symptoms.

• Posted

I will ask my ortho in sept cos I do not think the hand finger probs are related to my shoulder I had the dry mouth before and rib pain but I must admit the hand stifness has come on since the shoulder fracture so maybe it is not arthritis but as it is worse in mornings I think it is arthritis and I am diabetic for 40 years
  • Posted

Anyone else had a negative ana blood test and it was ss?
    • Posted

Hello heather, I had positive ANA, Positive SSA?Ro, and an elevated ESR. Neuro said SS,and possible other conditions related to it. Saw a surgeon for an unrelated issue who aso said I had SS and possible RA. Had appt with Rheum the next day.

Saw my Rheum for 2 nd visit today and he said he doesn't believe my blood tests results and thought poss MS then dropped it and said I have Fibro. I am consulting with my GP soon and seeking a new Rhuem or a second opinion and I think you should also. WIshing you the best!

• Posted

Sure hope you've been able to see a RA doc about your symptoms and been able to employ some of the suggestions.  Aleve wouldhelp with the rib and hand pain.  Always bring a list of all the meds and supplements you take when seeing a doctor.  That way they can determine that nothing you are taking is contributing to the dryness.  Serology tests like the ana are only part of the euation.  They need to check your sed rate and the C-reactive protein which is elevated over time in people who have inflammatory illnesses.

• Posted

There is a new test available called the Early Sjogren's Profile. I tested negative for all the others but on this one it showed my lgG to be 40.7 which is very high. Anything over 20 is positive for Sjogren's. I would request that blood test but it takes about 3 weeks to get the results. The test has only been available for less than a year and a lot of doctors aren't aware of it. Good luck!

• Posted

I hope I am not a hypocondriac but all my symptoms seem to be ss hand stiffness rib pain and really dry mouth mouth ulcers. Maybe. It is not ss but if not I cannot think what I wld like to b diagnosed .so I know. Sorry to ask these questions maybe it is not ss i am diabetic and have gastroparis which I read can b connected. Any help out there?
    • Posted

Hello Heather, I am newly dx'd with SS. It was even a consideration until I saw a Neuro. I too have a dry mouth but not extreme. I cough and choke a lot though. Also I am diabetic. My Neuro ran blood tests and I was positive SSA with high ESR and positive ANA. Have you had any of these tests? A couple symptoms we also have in common is stiffness in fingers (at times shooting pains) and rib pain. I also have extreme joint pain and muscle pain and migraines among other things. Does any of this also sound familiar?

I would recommend getting the blood tests I have had done and go from there. I'm so sorry you are having so much pain and feel for yousad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.