Blood test for herpes

Posted , 2 users are following.

Guys I really don't know where else to turn to. I'm completely freaked out.

I tested negative for herpes (yes negative) through blood tests. The question is : Are antibodies for herpes produced regardless of whether or not you have symptoms?Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why are you freaked out unless you have symptoms? It takes 3-6 months to build antibodies. I've seen people take 4 months and one take 6 months for herpes. I tested a week after infection through a blood test and it came up negative, but culture of my sore was positive. 3-4 months later, I took another blood test and it came back positive that time.

So if you're newly infected, blood tests will show negative.

• Posted

I tested negative on the 5 month mark. Is that conclusive?
    • Posted

Usually it is. Why are you freaking out unless you are having symptoms?
    • Posted

Well.. The thought just got stuck in my head and I can't seem to get rid of it.

I'm constantly checking stuff online and I just can't forget about it.

• Posted

Okay, well that tells me you have general anxiety, as I suffer from it too.

You've had no physical symptoms and your test is negative 5 months since contact, so you can relax. I've been living w herpes for a yr now; even if you did have it, it is not the end of the world, but you don't have it. You are projecting unexplained anxiety you feel inside onto this, because you feel the need to identify what is causing anxiety. Relax. You do not have herpes.

W that said, let this be a learning lesson for you. Condoms only provide partial protection from herpes, so it's best that you and a future partner both be screened before sexual intercourse. You got lucky this time, so just relax.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.