Blood tests back

Posted , 4 users are following.

so started taking iron supplements when my ferritin came back as 8, 3 months on and now its 15 ug/L [12.0 - 300.0] with a note saying borderline but no furthur action to be taken, well surley i still need to take them or im just going to go stright back to square one rolleyes

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola 

i guess it depends on what caused your iron deficiency? 

If they have found that and resolved it ..

you can stabilise with iron rich foods and over the counter iron tonics etc ..lower dose 

I have been struggling with this over a year now and the iron tablets have totally wrecked my stomach ..not for long term use if you read the info in the packet ... But my cause is still there heavy periods .. I would love to just take milder over the counter iron supplements and diet .. I hope you can ..and you can continue to improve more naturally ...sally 

• Posted

Hi sally 

Like you i have heavy periods and thats what they think is causing it, but nothings been done to help reduce flow etc. going to make an appointment with my GP to discuss the way forward, and if a maintenence does could be persribed, failing that will look into otc medication to try and keep my levels up smile x

• Posted

Hi 

sounds sensible. I am so near to stopping .. I haven't gone down the progesterone route ..marina coil etc .. To reduce flow .. But I know they do work .. Hope you get sorted 

sally 

• Posted

Hi I had low ferritin. It was 16 and I felt terrible. The drs said it was normal and I had to ask for iron tablets! My cause was extremely heavy periods. It went down from 28 to 16 in a 7 week period so that shows how fast it can drop. Now on the mirena coil and my periods have pretty much stopped. It's takes ages to build up again especially if your periods are still heavy. Do you feel ill?

• Posted

Hiya

yes never seem to feel 100%, tired all the time, headaches, joint aches and some days i feel breathless.

• Posted

Hi Nicola,Hope your feeling better? My hubby is on iron for another couple of weeks,then has to have a break till his next blood test.He gets very sleepy.regards Amanda h
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

Im always tired could go to sleep anytime of the day lol, im vitamin D deficient aswell so thats not helping either x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.