Blood transfusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

my mother had a blood transfusion and it destroyed her lungs. She did not survive.i don't know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Robin,

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about your mom passing, I know how hard and devastating it is, I loss my my at the age of 23, can I ask what procedure she went in for? Was it just a blood transfusion? Or something that made her lose blood and pass? When I had my fusion done 20 something years ago I ask my dr to take my blood and store it for that surgery, he said no we don't need to, well it was supposed to be a 6.5 hours surgery and turned out to be almost 9 and I passed for a bit, sounds strange but true cuz I told him instruments that were holding my back open and what was said like I was hovering over my body and of course they gave me a blood transfusion and I was fine, but I did have my blood check for nearly all of those 20 something years, I was so upset that when I came out of anesthesia I told him I had died and he just held my hand and said get some sleep we will talk at your first follliw up, n it was the longest follow up ever. I just want you to know we are all on here for different reasons and we support one another to cope with what ever we are going through.

Stay strong, I know it's hard but you have too.

We are all here for you!

Cynthia ( Cindy)

Again so sorry

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Cynthia. I'm sorry for everything that you went through. My mother had become very weak and not feeling well. I took her to the emergency room they said her hemaglobin was very low and she needed a blood transfusion before they could do the test to see where the bleeding was coming from. She has been through this before and had transfusions. They started a blood transfusion and sent her by ambulance to a hospital that does the tests she needed. Within an hour she started showing signs of labored breathing. It got worse very fast and the doctor said she was having a reaction to the blood transfusion. It had damaged her lungs. He said her lungs looked terrible.They put her on life support so they could get a scope of her lungs and said they would take her off as soon as they were done. But ended up her lungs were severely damaged so they kept her on. She did not want life support so we took her off. She could not breath on her own and passed when her oxygen was taken away.
    • Posted

Robin

I'm so sorry for your loss, that is terrible, I have never heard of such a thing... My condolences to you and your family loss. I would definitely look into that with the Drs and maybe get help doing so. It breaks my heart when someone they love loses a love one, I lost my parents when I was very young. Sending hugs your way!!!

Cynthia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.