Blue Swelling on Elbow (no pain)

Posted , 4 users are following.

last week I had my first session of boot camp and near the end of the session I unthinkingly rubbed my arm (becuase my muscles were a little sore) and to my suprise felt a large lump on the side of my elbow. No pain at all but it was about the size of a grape, felt rather solid and was very blue in colour. Just before I noticed it we were doing some crawling along the ground, I hadn't noticed knocking or banging my elbow at any point but wondered if I dislodged something while crawling. The movement in my elbow wasn't effected in any way and apart from feeling a bit bruised was fine. The swelling went down a bit when someone massaged around it and went almost completely later that day but left behind a big purple bruise. I can't find anything on the internet to confirm what this was and the person in charge of boot camp hadn't seen anything like it either. It's been a week and has turned into a faint yellow bruise and noticed today that there's still a small lump under the skin where the big blue lump was like a remnant of the injury. I'm not entirely certain what it is or if it's likely to happen again.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've added some images, one pointing out where the current small lump is and the other a representation of what the original injury looked like, unfortunately I didn't photograph it at the time.
  • Posted

I once had a lump on my wrist joint that came up out of nowhere.  The doctor said it was a ganglion.  Apparently years ago people used to hit them with a large book to burst the bump (or fluid filled cyst).  It would go and cause no problems.  Harmless.  I wonder if your friends manipulation of the lump has caused the bruising and the lump was in fact a fluid filled cyst that has not fully dispersed.  My advice if you are not sure to get it checked out with the doctor.  They won't mind and at least it would stop you worrying.
  • Posted

if yu found out what this was, i would love to now- it looks almost the same as what my elbow now looks like after falling down the stairs, with the same sort of lump there but a large extensive bruise along my lower arm too. did itt go away? its just i have been prodding at my arm with the similar injusry and i now tyhink i may have broken a bone or knocked it out of place but im not sure. any help as to what this was or if it went away would be of a great helpp!
  • Posted

I have the exact same symptoms, except that my elbow feels slightly sore when I rub it. The large lump was around the size of a golf ball at first, but decreased in size over several days. As the lump became smaller, the bruising increased. Although it is fading now (5th day), the bruising extends from my elbow down my arm about three inches and up about 2 inches and is worse on the inside. By initial thought was that it's bursitis, but all the bruising doesn't seem to be so common with that.

• Posted

This sounds almost exactly like my brothers elbow he noticed it after a basketball practice but didnt remember hitting it. Didn't bother him besides psychologically because it was on the elbow he had surgery on 9 years ago... Did you ever get any more info on it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.