Blurred Or Lost Vision From Blepharitis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone here got blurriness from blepharitis?  Im really worried right now because few days ago i had pain in my eye so i took off my contacts.  

I then used wetones as i been using it since earlier this year but it seems like both of my eyes, i have lot of broken skin inflamed around my eyes.  This isn't the crust on the eyelids like i had back when i started having blepharitis.

The thing is my lower eyelids are very red both left and right.  Also my eyes are bit red and the area around each each is very sore.

The thing that worries me the worst is few days ago when im using my computer... note i use the computer all day and night...i noticed i could not see letters/numbers on my screen.  Everything is extremely blurry... i then opened the tv and noticed this as well.

Then yesterday i used computer in the afternoon it was okay for a bit but then i could not see any letters/numbers at all on my computer.  Im wearing glasses and everything is REALLY BLURRY that basically its like me looking at a computer screen where im not even wearing any glasses at all.  Its been like this for a few days already.  Should i be really worried?

Basically if im on the computer for a bit, i basically cant see words/letters at all and i never ever had this problem ever.  Is this temporary?  I had thought it was just 1 day or so but its been a few days like this already.  Also i can open my eyes so why is this happening?  I know back then when i first got blepharitis and it was really bad, i couldnt open my eyes much b/c of the pain and thus i couldnt even use computer much b/c of the pain opening my eyes.

Does anyone have any advice on this?  Few days ago i also put some manuka honey directly on my lower eyelids both left and right for few hours then washed it off.  I did this b/c i read about manuka honey and b/c since i had the blurrieness the day before, i decided to try the honey.  I think some honey could have gotten in my eye but thing is i already had the blurriness before this the day before.

Does anyone know what i can do now?  Im still using the wet one wipes but im very worried why i have this blurred vision when on the computer.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

My Dr told me the blurred vision is from the inflamation.  I did have to stop the Wet Ones.  They started making my lids really red  and  my upper lid was sore to the touch. I have started using the OCuSOFT Lid Scrub PLUS Eyelid Cleanser Pre- Moistened Pads.  This has helped so much . Also, I am using over the counter eye drops called Systane Balance .  Iuse them throughout the day and especially before bedtime. I use  warm wet washclothes too three times a day. . I think some people have eyes that are more sensitive and maybe the Wet Ones irritate more.Hope this helps some. smile

• Posted

Did the ocusoft play the most important role with the inflammation or the systane balance?  I have those things but i dont have it with me at teh moment as im out of the usa at the moment which is frustarting.

Would you say doing warm compress with bounty towel would be fine?

What i was worried about was i thought i was going to lose my vision b/c the blurriness im experiencing...

• Posted

I think maybe the ocusoft pre-moistened pads. They felt very moisturizing to my lid and not as crusty. But, the drops really help too. I even ordered one of the eye mask that goes in the microwave, but just recently woke up with my eye completely bloody.  I suppose it may have come from it being too hot or maybe, I had the velcro strap too tight. Now, I am back to the white wash clothes.  I don't use them as much as I should though.  It is strange how  I slack up on using something that might be helping as soon as it starts to help. No, I am sure this doesn't cause blindness !!!
  • Posted

Hey did you have the same blurred vision as i'm describing?  Such as when you look at the computer screen or was it just blurred vision in general when looking at things?  I know even when looking at things thats not computer screen its blurry but its obviously not as noticeable as computer screen when theres letters and numbers.

I did use those ocusoft lid scrub pads that you are talking about.  I used those few months after i got blepharitis which helped but then i stopped it completely b/c it didnt seem to do that much so i stopped using it.  I dont have any of those with me at the moment however.

I heardbout the sysstane balance.  My eye doctor gave me those but i dont have it with me anymore b/c when i started using the wetone wipes...i thought i didnt need anything else.

How long did you have the blurred vision for?  Im curious how long did you have it for because i had this blurred vision for close to 3 days already.  

The thing is with the wet ones, i didnt have any irriation with it until recently.  I mean i used it for many months with no problems at all... so im confused why this is happening...

• Posted

I had the blurred vision all the time (badly) the first few weeks before my MD diagnosed it as Blepharitis. He told me the blurred vision was from inflammation. Then he prescribed an antibiotic eye drop which I used for about 10 days. That helped with the blurry vision I was also using the Wet Ones about 3 times a day. Then it was as if my lids felt burned like a friction burn, so I stopped those. My eyes are better, but I know the Blepharitis is still there.  I go back to him for a follow up visit week after next. My aunt has had the same thing for 2 years and is now being treated at U.VA Hospital. The Dr. did the needle injection and helped open the duct some, but then,  in October, she will go back for another procedure.  I am not quite sure what that is.  I also am using Cetaphyll soap as a cleanser on my face.Last  night is the first time I have worn all eyemake-up .  For the first time, my eyes did not water until about 8 hrs later which was a first in many months.  I feel that once the disease is confirmed, it never leaves completely. I am quite amazed at how many males have this also, as at first, I thought maybe it was just a disease that women got  maybe from make-up use and bacteria from brushes, etc. 

I hope I haven't jumped around too much.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I had blurry vision. I also had a watery tear film from blepharitis. Because the tear film is compromised your vision becomes unstable.

My doctor put me on azithromycin oral pill, this removed the watery eye and my vision got better again. But I am with Kathy here this condition never really seems to disappear, sometimes the eyes seem okay but they are never how they use to be. 

I do the hot compresses, the wipes and take the oral tablet. This has helped to control the condition but it seems something that I fight with every day. The doctor’s definitely need to improve their knowledge on this disease and work on better treatments because it seems to me that they are just not targeting the underlying problem that causes this disease. I read that it's actually to do with your hormones and that doctors are working on a treatment around this, but that may take some time. 

I totally sympathise with you. I've been there asking what the hell is going on. I would suggest to go to your doctor see if they could give you some drops and a course of azithromycin, this seems to be the only treatment that manages it for me.

Take care

​Ana 

• Posted

It sounds as though you are having an allergic reaction to the wet ones.

If you are staring at a computer screen all day, then your eyes will be dry, which also causes pain and blurriness.  Do you use an ocular lubricant?  You need to deal with the blepharitis too by using a drop of mild handwash in hot water, as hot as you can bear, then soaking a flannel in it and placing this on your eyes.

Go and see your doctor

• Posted

I dont use anything.  All i use is the wet ones earlier this year and nothing else b/c everything i used last year at first helped a bit then stopped working.  This was the ocusoft lid cleanser pads and also the foam.  I think i bought 2 different type of ocusoft moistened pads as well and it worked a bit but then didnt help that much.  Then i used foam and same issue.  Then when i used the wet ones... i thought it cleared my blephariits b/c when i used it for few weeks, i no longer had any pain nor crust anymore.  I used it for at least 8 months already.

I never had an allergic reaction during this time so for it to come suddenly... does that even make sense?  How could i use it for 8 months without any issue and then now it causes an allergic action?

Yes my eyes are on the computer majority of the day.  However i never had this blurriness before which is why im worried.

Right now im going to stop the wet ones for now.  But for compresses, would it be fine doing this with a bounty towel or say tissue?  Such as put water on it then put it on my eye for 2 minutes?  And also... would you say its better to go with cold water as oppose to hot water?  I just imagine b/c my eyes are inflammed... warm water would make things worst and cold water would cool it down?

Do you think the blurriness would go away if i just do some compresses cold ones and just stop using wet ones?

The thing is im out of the country right now so if i was still in the us... i would thus go and see an eye doctor very easily.  Im currently in canada so im not 100 percent sure how it works there since im an american.

Im pretty sure theres those systane balance eye drops at the drugstore, would getting one of those and putting it in my eyes probably help?

This is very frustrating b/c im not suppose to go back to the usa until a few weeks later.

Just very frustrating b/c i thought the wet ones was all i needed after using it for many months.

• Posted

I'm in the UK, so I'll try to suggest appropriate things for you.

It is possible to develop an allergy after using something for some time with no problems.

I would stop using the wet ones.

Use warm/hot compresses on your eyes, don't worry about putting anything in the water.  Bounty towel would probably be ok.

I was just looking at Systane dot com and see they do preservative free drops.  Try some of those and see if they help.  Don't put anything else on/in.  Have a look at the website and see what is available.  I see there are wipes too but I think you would benefit from avaoiding anything with presertvatives in them until you have been able to see an Ophthalmologist.

Good luck!

Could you see a Pharmacist while you are in Canada, he might be able to help you,

• Posted

How long do you do the warm/hot compresses for?  Like 2 minutes each time morning and night on each eye?

They have systane at the pharmacy here in canada.

I checked ratemymds here in canada and the one in montreal i see online that has good reviews, i gave them a call and they told me they are booked till october...

• Posted

Hi drewlizard, can you buy a small cloth, it just makes things easier!  I don't know what you would call what I mean, maybe a 'washcloth'?  A square of towelling - about 6".  Put this in the hot water, then place it over both of your eyes until it cools down, probably do it a couple of times and yes, morning and night.

I see that Systane also do a gel, which you could use at night just before you go to sleep, it makes your eyes blurry.  And buy some of the Systane drops for daytime use.  Preservative free would probably be best because the preservative can cause its own problems.

I hope this will help you.  Blepharitis can also cause photophobia.

Good luck Drew!

• Posted

Hey to kathy... you said you used those eyedrops for 10 days.  Do you know how many days it took before you notice no more blurry vision?

Yes i can buy a small cloth.  But bounty towel wouldn't work just as well?  reason i dont want to use a cloth is b/c i would be using it then washing it then using it again.  Is washcloth that effective than a bounty towel?

Also to those of you who mentioned you had the blurred vision, do you wear contacts/glasses?  I wear contacts and had to stop wearing them and wear glasses now b/c of this and thus i have the whole blurry vision when wearing glasses and its throughtout the day.  

Also is there a chance i have pinkeye?  I googled pinkeye and it seems like my eyes looks like that... like the bottom eyelid for each eye is really really red.  The thing is i dont have pain in my eyes anymore but it doesn't feel right and of course i have the blurred vision which is the thing that im not sure why this is happening.

Which systane drop would you recommend?  The balance?  Ultra?  I saw quite a few brands.  Im going to see any eye doctor later.

• Posted

The Systane drops are all basically the same but I would go for preservative free until you know what you are dealing with.

Bounty towels are paper towels aren't they?  It doesn't really matter what you use but I would have thought it would be easier and more effective to use a face cloth or similar.

Blephariitis can make your eyes red as well as conjuntivitis.  It is a good thing you are seeing an  eye doctor, in case you have an infection or something.

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hey all i just saw the eye doctor.  He examined me with the machines and this is what he told me.

He said he seems lot of damage and the cornea of the eye and mentioned its distorted.  I forgot the exact line he mentioned but it was something is distorted and i believe he said it was the cornea and i asked is that they reason why i see this blurriness for the last week and he told me yes thats exactly the reason.

Is that what you had Kathy or the other person who had this blurriness?

He at first was going to just prescribe me systane eyedrops but then decided on something straonger Refresh Liquigel eyedrops but then he said he going to give me an ointment to use for 10 days... thus he prescribed me an ointment to be used twice a day for 10 days and the refresh liquigel.  He said the ointment would speed thigns up.

Its called Tobradex that has tobramycin 0.3% and dexamethsone 0.1% ophthalmic ointment.  Is that the same ointment you used??

So basically im told use the Refresh Liquigel eyedrops 4 times a day 6 hours apart from each other for 2 weeks.  Use the ointment 2 times a day for 10 days.  I was told to use those eyedrops in the morning first, then wait 15 minutes at least before applying the ointment.

Is that the same with you?  

I was told to stop using wet ones and anything else and just use these 2 things for the next 10 and 14 days.  He did say its not going to heal very fast like in 2 days but say if it does get better in 6 days or so... then you could stop using it.

He did however say the vision would probably take 2 weeks to come back.  Is that true?  The thing is if im using this for 10 days both of them... would the blurriness get better each day or does it just suddenly get better in 1-2 days after using both of these for 10 plus days?

I did ask if this was pinkeye and he said it wasn't.  Interestingly enough... he said he didn't notice any blepharitis in my eyes.  I had told him i had it and it comes then goes every so often.  Could it be because the wet ones destroyed the blepharitis?

He also told me this isn't permanent the blurred vision which im relieved but i had thought it would be coming back to normal in less than 10 days but he said it would take 2 weeks...  anyone have insight on this?

• Posted

Hi- My Dr recommended Systane Balance. I wear glasses for reading and sometimes for distance. When I first started with the problems, my vision was very blurry until I started the antibiotic drops he prescribed.  But  I always feel now that my eyes are a little blurry.  At first, It felt more like a film over the cornea. You may have pink-eye too and if so, you do need an antibiotic . I feel any conjunctivitis and blepharitis go hand in hand. I think the bounty towel would be fine, but maybe not as hot as a cloth.  I bought a bunch of white washclothes and use only for my eyes and launder separately.
    • Posted

thanks for that info.  I believe eye doctor was going to prescrible me systane balance but then prescribed me the other way b/c its stronger.

Well i asked eye doctor if i had pinkeye and he didnt say i did, he said some ppl have symptoms of pink eye but dont really have it so basically for me he said i dont.

Im not going to do anyting with bountry or warm compress at the moment.

You say you did the eye drop for 10 days.  How many days did it took before you notice the blurriness was getting better?  Such as day what?  

Ana how effective was the oral pill treatment and how long did you take it for?  My eye doctor didnt give me that.   All he prescribe is the eye drop and the ointment.

Has anyone here got the ointment as a treatment?  I was sure i read someone mentione their eye doctor prescribed them an ointment.

• Posted

It took about 6 days. I didn't take an oral pill, but had eye drop antibiotic. Don't worry too much about the blurred vision.  I think the antibiotic ointment will help.  It may take a few weeks before your vision goes back to normal, but this will not cause blindness. 
    • Posted

hey thanks for that information.  Eye doctor did say you might notice it getting better after 6 days but still recommended me to continue both ointment and eyedrops.  But he said vision getting back to normal without blurryness might take 2 weeks.

Well the thing is im concerned about how long it will be before i dont have this blurryness anymore.  I never had this when i had blepharitis... because i could open my eyes fully now so thats why i was very concerned.

Hey so it took 6 days for your vision to get better but do you recall how long before you had no more blurryness?

Did you had to do the eye drops 4 times a day as well?  I was told to do it once every 6 hour and of course the ointment 2x a day.  

• Posted

yes  , drops usually 4 times a day and definitely before bed But my antibiotic drops only one aday
    • Posted

Hey what do you mean antibiotic drops once a day?  So you were using 2 different eyedrops?  Which one were u using that the doctor prescribe you?  The one drop or 4 drop?  You mentioned you used the systane balance so thats the one you used but you use another one the doctor prescribed you?  What is the name of that one?  Bit confused now b/c you mention drops then antibiotic drops as im not sure which one is which one.
    • Posted

My antibiotic eye drop is the same as your prescription ointment tobradex.  But then after the 7 days of that, I used prescription Azasite drops for 7 days. 
    • Posted

Hey.  So you used the same eye drop as mine 4 times a day?  Which one did you use 1 time a day then?  The systane balance?  Im confused but your eye doctor said that was fine?

Is there a reason u used another prescription azasite drop for 7 days after that?

My eye doctor say for now let see what happens in 2 weeks then go back to him if i still have the same problem.

• Posted

Hey bit confused again.  isn't the ointment torbradex an ointment and not an antibiotic eye drop?  Bit confused why you call it an antibiotic eyedrop.

So you used the ointment just at morning or night... and the eye drop 4x a day except your eyedrop is the systane balance but im using the refresh one?  Bit confused why your eye doctor told you only 1 time as oppose to twice.

How  did you apply the ointment?  Did you just put it in your eye or did you use your finger or a cotton swab?  Also i applied it earlier but not sure if im doing it correctly.  The eye doctor said morning just apply it on the eyelids but not the inside of it b/c if i do that during the day, then i would get blurryness.  He said only apply it inside the eye when going to bed because thats when im sleeping. 

However when i looked at the instructions, it basically says put it inside your eye the ointment.  So im confused whats the proper way.

Also i asked him am i suppose to put it 2 times each time on each eyelid because dont i have to put the ointment on top right eyelid and top left eyelid as well?  He said yes but when i looked at the directions and the person at the pharmacy told me its just one time per each eye.... so which is the right way?

Im very confused b/c he said its suppose to go inside the eye... but he said morning dont do that because you would get blurryness during the day which isn't what you want.  The picture diagram that i got from pharmacy shows for the ointment, you put it inside the eye directly.

Also not really sure how you can call the ointment an antibiotic eye drop.  It looks like ointment such as that you put it in something as oppose to regular eyedrops...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.