blurred vision

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am really worried as have had blurred vision for the last few days. I had a normal eye checkup two months ago and was told that I had a cateract forming but to go back in six months. Up until then my vision was clearer and do use reading glasses. I had a new prescription for them but now am unable to read with them. I also used to have distance glasses but was told I do not need them anymore! Of course I am scared that I could be loosing my sight and maybe have GCA coming. Has anyone had these problems and what has been the outcome. I was down to 7mg but increased to 10 a few days ago. I was diagnosed with PMR spring last year. I have booked a doctors appt for this Fri pm and also have another eye appt next Wed.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, this happened to me when I went down to 7mg..my doctor put me up to 15mg stright away and I was sent to the emergency eye clinic...nothing wrong there....he said it must be the steroids affecting me....I struggled for a while, till I decided to split the dose...this has eased it a lot....I am at 11.5mg and it isn`t nowhere near as bad...but I agree reading isn`t the same!..very frustrating..think this is a common problem with steroids....horriblefrown
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Many thanks for your reply. I have been fine on even the higher dose though so am very concerned as to why now on the lower dose that my eyes are blurring. What time to you take your dose. I take mine too lat in the morning I think around 7.30-8am?

• Posted

For me, I take three quarters of the dose at breakfast, remaining dose with evening meal....you may need to play around a bit to see what suits you.  Hope this helps...
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply Linda, much appreciated, I will give it a try.
  • Posted

Like you I would call my eye doctor but try to get in as soon as possible.

could very well be your cataracts.  Immediately when we have anything with the eye or a twinge of a headache we are thinking GCA.  I WOKE UP WITH A SLIGHT EYE INFECTION FROM MY CONTACTS  one morning and got myself all in a tizzy thinking my vision was going.  It's the first thing we think of.  I kind of think there would be pain involved as well but someone else will come along and be able to give you better advice.  

Take care.

Audrey

• Posted

Thank you Audrey. Next week is the earliest I can see eye doctor. Maybe my doctor will send me to eye department at our hospital. Like you said we do panic which is understandable. I can put up with pain and lots of other problems but my biggest fear would be to loose my sight.

Take care too Audrey

• Posted

It is important to see your doctor ASAP. It could be the start of opthalmic arteritis and starting high dose steroids, even before full diagnosis, can be very important. 
  • Posted

I absolutely agree with the necessity of bringing in the opthamologist at first worry. That said, I experience significant blurriness whenever I increase or decrease Prednisone dose. It is more an annoyance than alarming but I have to take off my glasses to read.

My eye doctor says Pred alters fluid balance and that changes our vision. But be sure pressure, optic nerve etc. are fine before assuming that.

• Posted

I too have had double and blurred vision for approximately a year now.  I have to have my eyes examined every year because I am a tennis official.  I had one right after I started getting these eye problems.  They couldn't find anything wrong with my eyes.  As I have found out this is a side effect, either of the pred or the PMR.  Interesting, when I work on specific lines my vision is excellent; when I am in the chair and have to look at lines I am not directly on, I have problems.  I have a lot of problems reading and working on the computer.  It is very frustrating and have yet to get any help with this, or a better understanding.  If you hear anything, pass it on.  Good luck,

Tony

• Posted

First, I am no expert. There was only grave concern for my vision in the ER before prednisone started cursing through my veins at 80mgs. I was told not to drive because with GCA blindness can come on quite suddenly. Several months later, my rheumy wanted the back of my eyes checked by an opthomologist because I had slight blurring in the left eye only. Turned out to be the very beginning of a cataract, age appropriate, and no relationship to GCA or heavy doses of pred. I also think my rheumy is cautious and I had much rather he test too much rather than too little. With my limited one person experience, I would go immediately to have the back of your eyes checked for any inflammation there....better safe than sorry idea. Keep in touch and let us know what happens, Ann11195
  • Posted

pebbles, both steroids and cataracts can cause blurred vision - I suffered blurred vision through most of my journey with both PMR and GCA, and my rheumy commented that it was due to the steroids.

However, having said that, it is always wise to get any unusual problem with your eyes investigated as soon as possible - one friend of mine who had recovered from PMR rang me one day and said she was concerned she might have GCA because she had a blind spot in her eye.  I immediately pointed her in the direction of A&E - the result: a detached retina requiring immediate treatment to protect her sight in that eye.

I hope good news comes out of your forthcoming appointments. 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for all your comments, very much appreciated. I will let you know what my doctor says tomorrow and also the outcome of my eye appt. next week.

• Posted

Hello, I, too, have blurry and double vision. I was diagnosed with pmr January, 2015. Had cataract surgery in both eyes during February and March. Have never gotten to reap the benefits of the surgery yet. Go to the eye dr monthly and also have told my medical dr. Could be the prednisone. Am on 14 mg currently. My doc had me have an ultra sound of my carotid artery. Came back fine. Does not think I have GCA and neither do I . Wishing you well!
  • Posted

As soon as any strange sight problems occur, an appointment should be made at your optician and your GP so good that this is in the pipeline. If you have PMR, you need to be aware of GCA symptoms, such as stiff jaw joints, ringing in the ears or ear-ache, headache in the temples, the neck or across the roof of the skull and seeing flashing lights, blurring, etc. I would, if you are on good terms with your GP, ask for a more immediate appointment. If you have had an increase in your PMR symptoms, I think your GP should be extra cautious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.