Body feels like I've had too much caffiene

Posted , 4 users are following.

I increased my dose of Prozac from 20mg to 40mgs 9 days ago and I initially had increased anxiety and nervousness which is still lingering. The strange thing is that my body feels all shaky like I've had too much caffiene (and I haven't). This sounds crazy, but has this happened to anyone else? Is this just a symptom of anxiety? Or is it a side effect of the Prozac? I'm confused. I'm worried this will never go away! thanks for your input!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was just on another forum, and they were saying that whenever you increase your dosage, it's like starting on anti-depressants all over again for awhile.  Maybe it will go away after a few weeks of adjusting to the new dose.

• Posted

Yes that sounds like a fine tremor. If it doesn't die down the doctor can prescribe beta blockers like propandol. I take 1 a day. No effect other than stopping the shaking. If you suffer from waking at night with heart racing. Beta blockers will sort that within hour. You can take a very small 10mg to 40mg dose. They can also be taken as and when needed.

My tremor is there while i take fluox and will go when I come off it in a year's time.

It's nothing to worry about but I'd recommend you at least try so you understand what the feeling is exactly.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I had no idea what it was and its kind of scary. If it persists I will definitely ask my dr about a beta blocker. It's super uncomfortable!

• Posted

Hi vanilla - yes it is really uncomfortable, I am on day 8 of 20mg and today I feel exactly as you described, like I had too much caffeine and like my heart is beating fast (though I know it's not). I was quite shaky yesterday and called my doctor for reassurance and they said it's normal and a common side effect. Just have to tough it out to get where we want to be. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

I was on 7 weeks of Prozac and started to get the shakes around week 5, it was really terrible, I wake up in the morning shaky and it goes on all day. I finally decided that Prozac wasnt the medicine for me bc I my anxiety consistenly got worse to the point where I couldnt leave my house. I know a lot of people on here say to stick it out but I just couldnt carry on like this. I hope you have better luck! smile

• Posted

Thank you! Nothing wrong with that, it's definitely not for everybody. You've go to do what's right for you! I hope you have found something that works for you, there are many many different kinds of medications and therapies so stay the course, you'll find your best fit. I had great luck with Prozac in the past so I'm sticking with it myself, doctor says just tough out a couple weeks of the side effects and I should be feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.