Body Tingling & Numbness (Parasthesis?) Pred. Side Effect?

Posted , 14 users are following.

i've been on Prednisolone since June 15th. 2015 for PMR, started on 30mg. down to 6mg. by July 2016 & have held that level to date. From the middle of July 2015 I have always had some level of of tingling/numbness in certain muscle sets. As follows, Thighs/Buttocks/Calves/Shoulders + Palms of my hands & Soles of my feet. This has been uncomfortable but manageable up until recently, Now it is a whole of body thing & is making me feel quite ill alot of the time. Really bad the other day,managed short notice appointment at GP's, not my usual GP but felt that I was being listened to. He sent me for blood tests which all came back OK. The Clinical Detail title for the test was "Parasthesis". Has anybody had any of the bad tingling or numbness I refer to ?. It is driving me round the bend & any help or advice would be a God send!!!!!!!. Is this yet another bad side effect of Prednisolone? 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It can be a side effect of pred, yes, and the fact it started shortly after you started taking pred does suggest that might well be the culprit. It can also be part of autoimmune disease.

Is the GP intending referring you for further investigation?

• Posted

I started on Pred. in Nov.2015, in March my toes went numb on the left foot and in Nov.. 2016 the right foot followed suit. I can't get an answer from anybody, test they say are all normal!

• Posted

Similar effects with me at around the same level of pred.  I stayed at the same dose for quite a long time with a couple of small ups and downs. Personally, as we are all so difference, I started to do more exercise even if it was a small amount but every day (little and often).  I'm at zero and have been for well over a month and the only advice is to find something that will help you through this period but don't just up the dosage. I have a strong believe that it's at this point your body is starting to produce cortisol itself and could be jumping around. Hope it settles down and finds a balance before you start to reduce again.

Best of luck, John

• Posted

I too have had numbness in my feet, worse in left foot funning up the outside of my leg, for about 9 months now, my GP just said it was from an old injury, but I do not have old injuries in my feet.  My Haemotologist said I have to report it to my Neurologist who I am going to visit in a couple of weeks time, so will see what he says.  It is just annoying, isn't it.

best of luck,

Track

• Posted

It's possible the injury, or whatever, was/is somewhere other than the foot itself.  I blame the gradual compression of discs in my spine (because of the passage of time) for a lot of discomfort elsewhere in my body.

• Posted

How right you were Anhaga,  my Neurologist discovered it was coming from compression in the L5s1 in spine.  I ended up with bad Sciatica from it and had to have a Cortisone injection in that area as I got to the point whereas I could not walk.  Thank goodness the injection worked (for how long who knows?).

Not long after the injection I ended up with the Shingles, possibly due to the Cortisone one Dr said.

keep well,  Track

• Posted

My personal experience is, that the stiffness is causing it. Nerves get compressed through tight muscles and tight fascia. Keep moving and do slow stretches end exercises every day. Pilates, Bliss and Yin Yoga helps me alot. Get a good massage from time to time, drink enough water and take minerals( esp.Magnesium)
  • Posted

In my experience it can be caused through the stiffness. Tight muscles and tight fascia can compress nerves. Keep moving and do slow stretches every day. Pilates, Bliss and Yin Yoga helps me. Drink enough water and add minerals, esp. Magnesium. And get a good massage from time to time.
  • Posted

I started on Pred in September 2014.    My tingling started at around 8 mg Pred.  It started in my feet and now over 2 years later it varies from day to day.   Some days it is very bad, almost like a painful buzzing, other days just a mild tingling or pins and needles in my feet and legs.   It can affect my whole body, even my face and lips on occasions.    I have seen a couple of neurologists and had tests.   I have been told I have short fibre neuropathy in my legs, but noone can explain the feelings in the rest of my body, so I put it down to the side effect of Pred.   

On a bad day it also drives me round the bend.  I have got used to it on a mild day, but I do find that it is exacerbated when I go for a walk or shoppng.

I am now on 6.5 mg and hoping that I will wake one day and it will have stopped !!

i only get a bit of numbness in my heels and the top of my feet.

if you find any answers along  the way do let me know.   It would be good to find a way to either treat it, or a reason for it.

• Posted

I had a visit with the Neurologist yesterday, thinks my numbness in feet could be neuropathy, having test for this next week, or also he said could be coming from spine, if neuropathy clear will do xray of spine.  Befo

re I was diangnosed with PMR I suffered from lower back pain for many years, but since on Prednisone I do not have the back pain, so maybe Prednisone helps????

hope you get some relief from you tingling, etc soon.

Track

• Posted

Thanks Track.   Good luck with your tests.  Do let us know the results. 
    • Posted

Hello Jan,

Well I had the nerve conduction test looking for Neuropathy, all clear, now waiting to have MRI on my lower lumber region, Prof. thinks my numbness in foot and leg coming from back.  Due to have MRI in May, so will let you know the result.

Hope you are keeping well.

• Posted

Good luck with the MRI.   Frustrating to have to wait until May, it would be nice to have all the tests and results at the same time !

My body seems to throw up new challenges every month or so.   If its not the PMR it is something else.   

• Posted

I have just been on prednisone for 3 weeks. My PMR is mainly in hips, thighs and calves.

I have the same tingling and numbness, mainly in my feet. If I get any info from my Rheumatologist,

I will get back to you.

• Posted

I am wondering if you have had any answers about your tingling.   I am now having quite bad buttock pain with tingling/buzzing in the areas around.   This is in addition to the usual tingling/pins needles I get every day.

I am wondering if there is some other underlying problem or if it is the PMR or Pred  again.

• Posted

It could be piriformis syndrome or myofascial pain syndrome causing irritation of nerves in the area they supply.
    • Posted

Hello Eileen, would this be aggravated by my increased sitting owing to my dizziness ?   ( this seems to be improving since I lowered my beta blocker a bit).       Certainly sitting can be very painful.

i have been tryng to get hold of my local Bowen therapist.   Hopefully I can get an appt with her soon.  Would I need to see a doc or a physio to get it diagnosed ?

• Posted

A physio would be more use probably. It depends where you are - here in Italy my GP is actually quite good at muscular problems but then, she worked in the rehab department in a previous incarnation! In the UK they all blame bones and discs and rarely think of purely muscular problems. You may be lucky - offer your GP the chance to give an opinion! wink  And perhaps he can get an early physio appointment (hope springs eternal and all that!).

If your medication is contributing to the dizziness it should be reviewed - overmedication is a common cause and there are other drugs to manage BP which cause fewer side efects when used carefully. I have 2 different ones at very low doses, for example. Is your BP generally lower because of lowering your pred dose maybe (you may need a lower dose) or is it swinging about (a different drug may help that). 

If you google it you should find exercises that might help - I say might, never helped me much! Hope your Bowen person has a space and can help. Of course - there is always the possibility that your back muscle problems (if that is what it is) is contributing to the dizziness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.