Bone-cement allergy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Before my TKA I was tested for metal and bone cement allergies. I was found to be highly allergic to nickel and moderately allergic to bone cement. My surgeon was unable to use a replacement that was both nickel free and bone cement free so he decided to use a bone cement saying he thought I would do fine. I am 8 weeks post- op with a flexion of 123, my PT thinks I am doing great. However, I have a tremendous amount of stiffness , pain and skin sensitivity. I can't walk a reasonable distance without stiffness setting in. I think

there should be greater improvements with stiffness, pain and skin issues at 8 weeks. I have read horror stories in patients with metal and bone cement  allergies and hope that my stagnant improvement is not due a reaction to the bone cement. Does anyone have any experience with bone cement allergies specifically ? And at 8 weeks post op where should the average pain level, stiffness  and skin sensitivity be ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment ,stiffness is all part of recovery.the stiffness can last 12 mths or more. Your new knee is a replacement not a replica and will never be the same as a natural knee. Ive had both done one 14 mths ago and one 4 mths ago, both can still get still especially after resting or sitting. Your only very early days yet,give time time .

• Posted

Wow - I would be very happy to have your flexion. I am at 7 weeks and doing really well by all accounts with a flexion of 110. I cannot tolerate standing for very long and am able to walk without a cane but 500 metres would be the max at this stage.

I have had huge paranoia about my progress and have fallen into the but they are doing that and I am not hole from time to time. There will always be someone who is doing better in some areas.

I don't know what a reaction to the cement would be - I have cement too.

To me it seems you are doing very well. I hope someone can help alleviate your concerns regards the allergy aspect.

• Posted

Not surprising. Most are still trying to free up movement and walk properly. My guess is you are trying to walk at a fast, get up and go, look at me I'm cured pace. Slow down.....way down. Practice the basics ....stride, hit the heel 1st, ball of the foot, toe and then full bend......both legs. You'll look funny but you will be getting your muscles, joints and back moving properly. Chances are you had walked with a limp and tried to avoid pain for some time......now you want it corrected in a couple of months. Slow and steady is the word. Don't overdo it and let your body get tired. You are still so early in the process you could have a set back if you try and push to hard to fast. The brain is still in control and it will let the body know when it can go to the next level. Just dontbthink you've got it made and quit the basics. You can't run marathons till you have mastered the 5 K's

• Posted

Cynthia anxious to see how you are progressing. I had TKR June 2016 and have great range of motion but a constant knee pain that has not subsided. I have completed tests that have ruled ant mechanical/structural problem and infection and then moved on to allergy testing for metals, antibiotics and bone cement. Allergic reaction to bone cement! Allergy doc says get a cementless replacement and ortho surgeon wants to wait until June (unless I can't tolerate) to see if my body will eventually accept this sensitivity. Has been very frustrating but symptoms are still stiffness and a burning pain 24/7.

• Posted

Hi Mary, My TKR was done May 31, 2016. Over 9 months ago.

I am having terrible pain in my knee, feel like knee is in a vice and

Won't stop squeezing. Knee gets very stiff the more I try walk to on it.

No else has mentioned about water. When ever my knee gets

Wet, in show or pool, it will stiffen up so I can't even bend it with out

Pain. I am at my whits end. I have spent a lot of money going for PT,

And even went to have laser treatments for the pain. I had PT and

Massages. The massaging brought me to tears it hurt so much.

My skin is very sensitive, pain is so bad I can only walk for aboug

5 minutes. I have to wear an elestic, or compression wrap arojnd

My knee to be able to walk at all. I have an appointment with an

Allergist to see if I mah have allergies to the implant. I can't take the

Pain any longer. My whole life has changed, I feel like a criple. I know

It takes time to heel, but 10 months and the pain has not lessoned

At all. I am so depressed, can't sleep either. At whits end.

• Posted

I understand your feeling your life has changed.

I had first tkr eight years ago. All went well. However the second has not been that great. After one year, I still could not go up and down stairs properly and had to side step. Had a third surgery. It was a lateral repair. No better! I was depressed.

I admit, due to depression, I did not do my Physio as much as I could. This all happened two years ago. Is it too late to help myself by doing Physio now to help me walk without a limp and enable me to walk up and done stairs properly? Yes do t know and there's only one way to find out that know but I too, have been so down about how the second knee has slowed me down so much. I feel I have aged ten years.

Best of luck to you in your situation.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about second knee. We're you ever tested to see if you had any allergy to the metal in the replacement? My sis has Mast Cell Activation Disorder. Too much hystienien in her system. She thinks I may have it too. It can cause a lot of problems in your body starting with inflemation. The rout of all our pain. I have an appointment with an allergist to see what is going on in my body. If I am allergic to the metal I'll have to have the surgery all over again. At least I'll have some kind of an answer and be able to start to feel better. Research Mast Cell Disorder and I'll try to find the website for metal testing. It is both very informative.

Good night. TTYL

Molly

• Posted

Hi Molly

Many thanks for the quick reply. I haven't meant to be a downer about all this but it was nice to get it off my chest.

I actually have wondered about an allergic reaction to titanium. Reading what you've written has given me more info and incentive to check this all out further. Thank you! I definitely will do some looking into this.

Wishing you warm vibes and progress in the months ahead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.