Bones to far gone for normal knee reolacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I went to see the doctor he said there was so much erosion on my bones that regular knee surgery couldn't be done what else is there that can be done to fix my knee problems

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Get a second opinion. Could be your doctor isn't up to date on new procedures or he feels he couldn't do that type of surgery.

A second and even a third opinion just might give you an answer.

• Posted

That's a disappointment for you sad However it must be possible to do something so I'd seek another opinion. Whatever you do, don't give up x

• Posted

Second opinion FOR SURE!!!

Don't give up!??????

There WILL be a solution for you!

A TKR removes the defective bone and replaces it with a prosthesis that is glued with special cement to the newly-operated-on-knee bone ends.

GO FOR IT!

You will be happy you didn't give up!??????

Be sure to keep us posted on what you discover, OK?

Wishing you great success and praying for answers very quickly for you!??

• Posted

It's important to see another surgeon. Not all surgeons are created equal. Look for a experienced surgeon for a second opinion. 

Knee replacement surgery involves cutting away the arthritic bone and inserting a prosthetic joint. All of the arthritic surfaces are replaced, including the femur, tibia, and patella. The arthritic surfaces are removed, and the ends of the bone are replaced with the prosthesis, like capping a tooth. The prosthetic component is generally made of metal and plastic surfaces which are designed to glide smoothly against one another.

This will improve your quality of life, with less pain and mobility. 

• Posted

I'm not sure what they mean by a regular knee surgery. I was bone on bone, in both my knees. With one so damaged i couldn't even bend it when walking. But as others have said, a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) removes the knee and gives you an artficial one. Aside from the scars, no one would even know it. It's a lot of work and though the original pain is gone, there is a lot of pain in the journey to recovery. I had both done at the same time and don'r regret it at all. I'm now 21 months post op and enjoying life again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.