Boniva injections anyone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My PC says my dexa scan isn't that bad and my Rhumy says I'm a high risk for a fracture.  So I have an appointment for the injection on Mon.  Has anyone else had this problem?  When I read possible side effects of the injection I really don't want to get it. But a fracture would be the worst nightmare on top of this PMR.     

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is the rheumy saying you are high risk just because you are on pred or is your dexascan well into the osteopenia range? 

I've been on pred for nearly 7 years, I had a dexascan shortly after starting pred and again 4 years later. There had been no change in the bone density readings in that time. I had been given alendronic acid at the start, disliked it intensely and discussed it with my GP who agreed with me - it made far more sense to wait and see if my bone density changed. As it turned out - I didn't need it and had avoided over 4 years of taking a drug with potential side effects in the short term - and unknown side effects in the very long term, which are now beginning to emerge.

Superb marketing has persuaded many doctors that Fosamax (alendronic acid, a bisphosphonate, Bonviva is a different substance, ibandronic acid, but also a bisphosphonate) could be used as preventative treatment - patients will never break a bone, the risk of hip fractures banished! The decision as to at what bone density you say a patient is at risk was actually fairly arbitrary - people with good bone density break bones, other people with poor bone density do not. Bonviva 

There are many things you can do that will reduce the risk of breaking a bone that do not involve taking these drugs. It is very much a personal decision but i'm very glad that no-one has tried to persuade me to take any of these drugs.

Anhaga is the person with all the info about no using these drugs - I'm sure she'll post later.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  Thats what my PC says to wait and see.  But the Rhumy keeps pushing me hard to take the drug.  I think I might wait and see.  Thanks 
    • Posted

Yes I have Osteopenia not sure how bad but PC says not bad.  Rhumy says osteoporosus. Im confused. But I think I'll wait awhile and possibly explore the other drugs before deciding. Thanks again

• Posted

Eileen, in my opinion you are correct that "Superb marketing has persuaded many doctors that Fosamax could be used as preventative treatment." My rheumy has pushed and pushed me to start on it. The industry has supplied doctors with a simple data input app wherein they enter age, gender, weight, height, bone density from dexascan and the app produces a "risk level" for breaking a hip in the next ten years (if I recall correctly). I turned out as "moderate risk". I asked the rheumy what would be the amount of decrease in risk and over what period of time would that occur if I took the recommended course. He was unable to give me that information, which I believe to be crucial to decision making. But, undeterred, he read me a long piece from an industry article which ended with a statement that justified taking Fosamax because the cost/benefit ratio was good. At that point I told him that I didn't want to hear any more.
    • Posted

Eileen, the actual report words that it was "cost effective" to treat a moderate risk person with bisphosphonate.
    • Posted

Whatever that is supposed to mean! Slowly, slowly, the truth about bisphosphonates is emerging. I would consider taking one of them IF my bone density deteriorated. But the advice from the FDA is they shouldn't be used for more than 5 years at a time - had I taken them as offered I'd have had 5 years worth in a period where my bone density didn't change at all despite pred.

There are people on the forums who have all sorts of problems, from dental problems through shin splints to bilateral fractured femurs which won't heal. Or who have ended up with such severe oesophageal problems they can't take pred. And an orthopaedic consultant was very surprised to hear the stories we are told by rheumies about the risk of fractures. Funnily enough - when it comes to bones I know who I'd believe.

• Posted

I think "cost effective" is particularly popular in NICE's literature. I am not sure that the actual patient's needs are involved! Although I may be becoming jaundiced. 
    • Posted

Wait and see.  But while you wait, if you haven't already, start doing everything you can to improve your bone health the natural way (nutrition, supplements, appropriate exercise).  I have friends who have actually moved from osteoporosis to osteopenia range (and the friend who continues to look after herself continues to see improvement), so I know it can work.  Prednisone is an extra factor of course, so I think I will be happy if I can maintain my bone mass at least. Some doctors are very keen to prescribe the medication.  One wonders why.  My doctor got much more keen after attending a workshop on osteoporosis and I would love to know who sponsored that workshop!
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Yes I'm taking 1000mg calcium, daily, along with multi vit and taking PT 3 times a week and trying to walk daily if my strength is good.  The info from you people who have researched and are living with this illness is priceless. We just can't rely on our Dr to get us well unfortunately...hope you have wonderful weekend!
    • Posted

If you want to read all the stuff I've found out over the past few months I could private message you.  Let me know!  Also, there's some good conversations going on over at the osteoporosis and alendronic acid forums.
    • Posted

I doubt it - if so that makes two of us...
    • Posted

I sent my private email and they are moderating. So guess thats not allowed on here. Anyway as I said I would love to read your articles as it would possibly give me some ammunition when the Rheumy starts pushing.
    • Posted

Use the private message facility - click on the grey evelope under Anhaga's avatar on a post. You can put anything you like in a pm since that is just like you using your email to a particular person.

Every time you post there is a note at the bottom not to share anything you aren't happy being seen in a public forum - I wouldn't want my email address available for some of the people who visit here!

• Posted

I'll send my little essay to you.  Two main reasons I do this by private message - it's kind of long for a post, and there is a little bibliography which includes internet links. (Hope this post doesn't get moderated!)
    • Posted

Please note this is just what I've been lreading and learning over the past few months and anything you think is wrong, or would like to add, please let me know.  I am constanty tweaking it!
    • Posted

Thanks Eileen...Yes I have an alias email that I use sometimes... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.