Borderline Hyperthyroid.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My GP has told me that i am borderline Hyper but to wait and see how things go for a while. I am not typical as I have put on weight and have a slow pulse and my BP has risen from 12/80 to 143/70 with a pulse rate of 54. I feel overheated and tense most of the time and don't sleep well. Any advice please. I have read about a herb called Bugleweed and wonder if this would help.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I'm hyper and put on weight...I'm sure it was from eating all the time and not exercising enough to cover the extra eating...BP can go up with the weight gain..mine was high...I've lost about 10 pounds since eating healthier...and BP is normal....I dont think the bugleweed will hurt you...you just add drops to water...I too run hot all the time...have a 400.00 air condition bill to go with it...lol  

It is the pits though...

• Posted

Thank you Rose.

I only eat three times a day and nothing after 6:30 in the evening. For breakfast I only have two crackerbreads. 38 caloriies the two. Lunch is mostly salads and last meal of the day is two crackerbreads with a small portion of goat's cheese. As I have arthritis in both knees I can only do floor or sitting exercises which I do every day. I eat plenty of cabbage. Cauliflowe etc. Feeling hot and tense all the time is not nice at all.

• Posted

Bugleweed, Motherwort and Mellisa works well for Graves along with good dietary habits.  As well, you can try Regular L-Carnitine up to 3,000 mg a day along with Vitamin D and Magnesium if you are deficient.  You can get tested for these to see if you are deficient in any of them.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda, 187.

I will try the things you suggest and hope they help. Will get GP to test for Vitamin D etc.bn

• Posted

Hi Linda....

What is Mellisa?  I've never heard of it and when I google it, it only comes up as a female name...

thanks

• Posted

Hi Linda

I have been reading these post for a couple of days, and now have the courage to post. 

I'm 37 and was diagnosed hyper 7 years ago. I was intrigued about what you were saying about taking supplements L-Carnitine along with Vit D and Magnesium if needed as I vaguely read this before.

I had an appointment yesterday with nuclear meds as I've been referred to have RAI treatment, but honestly not sure if I want it. Anyway armed with what you suggested, I requested to have Vit D, Magnesium and Carnitine levels checked with my routine blood test. At the time the consultant said they couldn't test for Carnitine, but can do the other two.

They have just called with my results and T3 - 6.7 / T4 - 24.1 and TSH - 0.01. Vit D and Mag fine. Vast improvement from last results.

With the TSH being 0.01 would you still suggest taking the L-Carnitine. I'm currently on Carbimazole 30mg and Propranolol 10mg x 2 dosage upped to in account of RAI treatment.

I would really like to lower the dosage as I have put on nearly 18lbs since July and feel this is a real struggle.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

You don't give the ranges for normal for your T3 and T4 but I am guessing tha they are at a higher end.  Your TSH is definitely hyper.  My TSH was at the same level and my Free T3 and Free T4 were at the upper end of the normal range.  I wanted to get my TSH up so I did take the Regular L-Carnitine and that helped a bit.  But what really drove it up very quickly was Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  You don't say what your diagnosis is. With the high dose you are on, I am presuming it is Graves.  I am surprised that you need to be on that high a dose of Propranolol.  I was on it until I started my Methimazole and then did not need it except occasionally.  It drops my blood pressure too low to take it continuously. The Acetyl will help a lot but you have to be very careful with it, get frequent blood tests and adjust dosages, you adjust the Acetyl and let your doc adjust lowering the Carbimazole.  If I were you, I would also get a copy of my lab results on Vit D and Magnesium.  I am not a sun worshipper and I live in Canada so even when I got into the normal range I still took 1,000 IU per day of Vit D.  I have read that this vitamin is very important in thyroid disease.  I also had a Magnesium at the lower end of the normal range so I take 200 mg a day of that.  If you want to give Acetyl-L- Carnitine a try, start low at 500 mg a day and see how you feel.  It is going to carry your Carbimazole into the cells so you need to stay on top of it frequently.  Can you get a blood test 3 weeks after you start it?  If so it may be worth a try for you.  If you have any negative feelings, stop it immediately.  I had no ill effects when I was hyper but as my TSH rose well into the normal range, I did have palpitations so stopped it then.  Keep us posted on what you decide to do.  If you take the Regular L-Carnitine, you will raise your TSH slightly and should have no ill effects.  It is not as sensitive to rendering you hypo very quickly like the Acetyl is but hyperthyroid patients often lose a lot of carnitine from their muscles through urination and taking it makes you feel better.  Everyone in the research study I read about had improvement in their symptoms.  As you improve, I would ask your doc if you can lower your Propranolol as well.  Keep us posted on what you decide to do and your results.

• Posted

Hi Linda 

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have hyperthyroidism. The consultant said my T4 for was is in the higher range of "normal" but that was the best results she was going to get from me at this stage!

Honestly, I don't want to have RAI and actually cancelled it earlier this year. But was swayed again based on how I was feeling and couldn't take it anymore.  I am to seek alternative options and based on what I've read it doesn't seem to get any better with the RAI treatment.

I was actually just reading up on the study by Dr. Salvatore Benvenga before checking back to this post. I find it fascinating on the improvement with his subjects and keen to find out more.

So just to be clear you would recommend Acetyl-L-Carnitine over Regular L-Carnitine and taken with regular blood tests?

Thanks

• Posted

I must say this really does give me hope I can get through this.

• Posted

I guess its the lemon balm...just a different name.. 

thanks

• Posted

You might want to start with the Regular L-Carnitine to see how you feel on it.  It helps improve muscle wasting.  If you feel okay on that and your TSH is still low, then I would try just a little bit of the Acetyl (500 mg) to start and then again monitor closely, see how you feel and keep going with it.  I was on a relatively low dose of Methimazole (same as Carbimazole in England) so it helped get the med into the cells because it crosses the blood-brain barrier.  However, if you are on a high dose and don't adjust as you go, you will get hypo very quickly.  At one point, I took both 1,000 mg of the Regular and 500 or 1,000 mg of the Acetyl and I was fine on it because my med dose wasn't as high as yours.  Remember it will increase the effectiveness of the med so you will have to experiment but do watch it closely if you go that route.  Try the Regular first at 3,000 mg. and let us know how you feel.

• Posted

No, there is a natural protocol to treat Graves and it consists of Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa.  One of the latter two is the lemon balm.  Some places combine all three into a one dose capsule. 
  • Posted

Hi Shaxta and Ellie

Just another viewpoint..I had RAI in February and believe it was the best thing for me. I have had Graves since 1992, I was hoping that after 2 long spells on I had at last gone into life-long remission in 1997. I did have an18 year remission but when I relapsed last year it was horrendous with several admissions to A & E with cardiac symptoms, I also lost hair and muscle mass and felt generally rubbish. Since I had relapsed for the 3rd time it is highly likely that I will relapse again and with the growing risk to my cardiovascular system I chose the definitive option. I have felt nothing but better, I do not take any medication at all now. I regained by hyper weight loss, I have my life back. I know I may go hypo at some time, but now I am enjoying being 'normal' again. There are different options, and everyone must choose the one for them. Good luck to everyone trying to find their way through this horrid disorder.

• Posted

I meant to sat 2 long spells on PTU.
    • Posted

Hi Veronica

Thank you for sharing your story. It's so great you feel better now after treatment.

The problem for me is the uncertainty of how it will turn out. I'm really unsure of what is best for me!

On one hand the treatment might be the best thing, but it seems so evasive.

Before now, I'd never been sick or had to go to hospital and now I feel so vunerable, which is why I swept it under the carpet when first diagnosed. 

On top of it all, I now I feel so much pressure as the treatment has been booked in less than 2 weeks.

You mentioned no longer being on medication; how long ago did you stop and did the transition go to plan?

Thanks

• Posted

My problem is that, being borderline I am left with a 'Wait and see' attitude as there is a reluctance to intervene. However, I really would prefer to avoid any of the usual medications and go for more natural but proven remedies. I have read that it is difficult to assess what is normal for an individual patient unless they have had tests when their thyroid was in perfect working order as normal levels  can vary from person to person. Meanwhile, I feel horrible for most of the time.

• Posted

Hi Ellie I was taking PTU (as I am allergic to Carbimazole) for around 8 months with my latest relapse. I also needed propanolol until my levels stabilised. I came off PTU the week before RAI and went back on to it one week after the RAI. Four weeks later it was discontinued. I have been off all meds for 7 months. I was just not willing to risk another dreadful relapse. I soul searched before RAI but went into it with a positive attitude. Good luck and keep chatting on here for support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.