Boric acid causing slight pink discharge/blood?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I ordered some boric acid suppositories. Yesterday I used 1/2 suppository in the afternoon, then insterted 1 whole one before bed, then another whole 1 this morning.

By this afternoon a had quite a lot of discharge, but within that discharge on my pantyliner it was pinkish, which is not normal. It looked a bit like blood. Maybe a drop or two of blood, but as a streak.

My period is not due for another 2 weeks so I know this is definitely irritation from using the boric acid. I know that boric acid should come into contact with the blood stream though, so I'm worried about continuing use...

Is this pink discharge/irritation of the vagina normal when using boric acid? Is it safe to continue with the boric acid?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not to worry this can sometimes happen. Some find boric acid to be drying and this can happen. It was to my daughter she just waited a day and before inserting another and was fine.
  • Posted

Same exact thing happened to me. Fortutnately my doctor was the one that prescribed me boric acid. I called him and asked, he said not to worry about it entering my bloodstream, not enough of it would enter to do be harmful in light of the dose I was getting (600 mg/suppository). Told me to continue using it if it wasn't uncomfortable. For me, it was a little uncomfortable but I wanted to get rid of the BV so I kept doing it and the blood/discomfort resolved itself after another night or two.

I would say to use less. One per day should do it. Give it time to do it's thing. You don't want to get a chemical burn by consistently having acid Up your hoo-ha. and yes, it's an acid, it absolutely can cause those things.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I read elsewhere that you said that boric acid didn't work for you. May I ask what worked for you (that's if you have managed to find a cure.)?
    • Posted

Nothing's worked long term for me yet. I have always had good short term response to antibiotics....but it always returns, usually 2-8 weeks. After 1.5 years of treating each individual infection with metrogel or oral metronidazole, my primary sent me to a gyno. Gyno gave me 10 days of oral metronidazole (versus the 7 days I usually got) and 21 days of boric acid. After 3 weeks we confirmed with labs that it was "gone"... then Started a suppression course of metrogel twice a week for 6 months. The second time I had sex after those 6 months I got another infection. 5 days of metrogel cleared it then started 6 months of vaginal metronidazole at a higher dose than the metrogel once per week. In month 3 i got an infection while on antibiotics which hasn't happened to me before. So that sparked me to learn more, found this forum and read a bunch of studies.

What I'm trying now is continuing to finish the high dose vaginal metro, added vaginal probiotics, more oral probiotics than I was taking before, and the biggest thing is a DRAMATIC change in my diet. Every change in my regimen I've decided based on various studies I've read. Soooo we shall see!

• Posted

I feel your pain.  With me the meds dr. gave me worked only for the time I was on the meds and the meds usually gave me a yeast infection as I almost always get when on any antibiotic.  It just turned into a visious cycle.  I learned what my triggers were and do my best to avoid or limit them.  I hope you find 'your cure"
    • Posted

Hey there! I know it's been a while since you posted on your BV situation. I am deep in the throngs of it! (Absolutely no fun!) My Dr has prescribed the exact same plan yours did.

Did you ever find a cure or even relief? This is such a difficult trial.

Thanks much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.