Botox for a second time for fissure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i had a fissure 4yrs ago was excruciatingly bad had the botox treatment unfortunately fissure has returned with other issues, now awaiting 2nd lot of botox i tbought i was cured pain free from day of surgery now is even worse have to take diazepam and strong pain meds while waiting for surgery now im scared this will not work i just can't live with the pain anymore.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

I just had my sphincterotomy on Dec. 30th and am still in pain but they say this is the best treatment. Did you consider surgery ?
    • Posted

I didn't get the option only the botox 2nd time soon after 4 years what is the sphincterectomy?

• Posted

The sphincterotomy is a surgical procedure where they cut the internal sphincter muscle to relieve the spasm pains from the fissure. This will allow the fissure to heal.
    • Posted

The botox is supposed to do the same thing i have to have it under general anesthesia i wonder why my consultant hasn't considered me for the other one.

• Posted

I am not sure why if I were you I would read up on the procedure and then ask. I cannot believe how painful these fissures are. Do they know what is causing them for you ? Unless you had one nobody has any idea of how your life is ruined while you have one. My life has been on hold for months and it's really affecting every part of it . Sorry you're going through all this but I completely understand and we all need to help each other.

• Posted

Dont really know what caused mine but i was so happy when i had botox 4 yrs ago has i have been pain free up until recently but dr did say that if you have had 1 before you likely to get again stress doesnt help them heal and ive been through alot crap i feel like an idiot telling people as they don't know how painful they are and i know there are worse things to have but most things are not that painful mine got infected aswel which makes things worse its gotten to a stage where i dont want to go to the toilet anymore so i stop myself its sooo bad but valium really helps me and yes it ruins your life hope you are recovering well.

• Posted

I think i left it to long the first time i had it 4 yrs ago before i went to dr as i was scared to go which proberly made it worse.
    • Posted

When are you having your procedure again ? I sure hope the Botox helps you . I am making some major life changes once I recover . I put myself on B12 and a daily vitamin .I am taking a stool softener and drinking a lot of water and I am going to get into yoga and use some type of relaxation music during the day . I work from home so I need to get up and walk around more and I am starting an exercise program to lose weight . I have a lot of stress in my life and I'm about 50 pounds overweight so I know that both of those are big contributors along with my chronic constipation .It's a rough recovery from the surgery but I'm hoping that it will all be worth it in the end and then I can have my life back . None of my friends or family understand how bad the pain is and it's kind of an embarrassing issue to discuss with everybody else . It's almost like you live in pain in silence . That's why am glad I found this form so I can talk to others who are going through the same thing and we can all support each other . I hope your Fissure heals and you never get it again. Getting one once in a lifetime is too much.

• Posted

Ever since the the first fissure ive stuck to rules diet changes,gave up smoking (smokings really doesnt help fissures)3 types of stool softners, i work full time so get plenty of exercise i lost 2 stone and drinking alcohol is a no no aswel (wasn't that big to begin with ) so im baffled why mine came back maybe its genetic? I had pre op 2 weeks ago so within 21 days im on urgent list as pain nearly makes me pass out im glad i found this forum too

• Posted

Oh wow you are doing all the right things. Again I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am just so tired of the pain. Best of luck to you. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    • Posted

I am having op next wednesday so fingers crossed i having such a bad day today.
    • Posted

I am so sorry you are having a bad day. You are having your second Botix ?
    • Posted

Yes have to have in main hospital was supposed to be in day centre due to bed problems means longer stay in😞

• Posted

You need to stay in a hospital ? Wow. My surgery was outpatient. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

I hope not but as its in main hospital it might have to wait longer to have done as im having a general anesthetic and have to moniter you for hour or so after and if op is done late the later you leave last time i was in at 8am out by 1pm in day centre.
    • Posted

I will be thinking of you. These fissures are horrible. I am so mad that we got them in the first place. We need our lives back. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Yes i know, i know there are worse things but they ruin your life,how are you recovering? And thanks
    • Posted

Slow and painful recovery for me. So depressing.
    • Posted

Do you regret having the sphincterectomy now did you not consider botox? As i was ok staight away back at work really quickly, but the botox is a relatively new procedure. It puts me off as people seem to be in alot of pain,do you take pain killers or taking diazepam?
    • Posted

I have had 2 sphincterotomies and I am glad that I did them both. I currently take Percocet for post op pain, ibuprofen and stool softeners. I went straight to the surgery because the dr said it is the most effective treatment and I wanted the chance to br pain fee fast.
    • Posted

Had botox done today and im pain free yay unfortunately i was told i have something called proctitas which is basically migrains of the sphincter, which cannot be cured only pain managed my sphincter is weak so prone to other things,i asked about a sphincterectomy and he said in his 30 yrs of experience hes very anti them and said they do more harm than good. Hope you coping well.
    • Posted

I hope you get better soon.
    • Posted

I feel great at the moment still full of drugs lol
    • Posted

It is such a relief to have no pain.
    • Posted

I know feels like a miracle,just have to manage this proctitas thing now.
    • Posted

By the way do ypu live in the Uk?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.