Botox & Iontophoresis to Cure Excessive Sweating?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello everyone. I have read that botox and a treatment called iontophoresis can cure sweating. Are there anyone here who tried these and solved the problem?

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the supplied link with a link to our leaflet on hyperhydrosis which has information on these treatments.

https://patient.info/health/excessive-sweating-hyperhidrosis

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It all depends upon what is the cause of the hyperhydrosis - your doctor is the best person to advise you on this and what course of action is medically approved (and suitable in your case) to treat it.

Personally I would advise you to shy away from the use of any derivative of the botulinum toxin, as the long-term side-effects are yet unknown.

• Posted

Hi Julia, botox does work for hyperhydrosis but when i asked my dermatologist she laughed in my face, then said it didn't work.  It's all about the NHS saving money, but if you can afford to go private, do so. The medical profession don't appreciate how debilitating facial and head sweating is.  I asked my doctor about iontophoresis and he said he had never heard of it.  I have an appointment with another dermatologist and will ask if they own such a machine.  Will keep you posted smile and good luck, Gill
    • Posted

After suffering for 6 years, and yes facial and head sweating is so debilitating, I finally decided to seek botox treatment for it.  I went to a Dr who did this, but she said she would like to find out the cause first.  Yay!  Me too!  She referred me to a endocrinologist, and I was found to have a small tumour on my pituitary gland which was causing excess prolactin.

Now, I was already using oestrogen hrt, but the excess prolactin was causing my oestrogen to be ineffective, thus throwing me back into severe menopause symptoms.  Cabergoline relieved it almost immediately.

I never did end up having botox.  So if that line of investigation has not been followed up, ask for it to be done.

• Posted

I'm looking in to botox right now for facial-cranial hypehidrosis. Iontophoresis doesn't work on the head/scalp, I think it specifically targets palms and feet.

From what I can tell after researching Botox, it is not a permenant cure but can last between 3 - 12 months depending on the individual's reaction.

I made an enquiry about it to a private practice currently offering a £75 discount and they replied:

1.     Q: What are the risks involved with botox for hyperhidrosis on the face/scalp? Is there a risk of hair loss? Would it paralyse any part of my head like you hear for botox injections aimed for wrinkles? Is there any chance my face would look uneven atferwards?

A: The risks include possible bruising and swelling. However, as the Botox needle is very small and we don’t penetrate beneath the surface of the skin, bruising is less likely than with other injectable treatments.  I am not aware that hair loss is a side effect.  Although we are targeting a more general area than with an anti-ageing treatment (where we are looking to target very specific muscle groups) it may be that a possible side effect is a smoothing out of any fine lines and wrinkles to the treated areas.  Our aim Is not to freeze/paralyse facial muscles and doses are very specific and bilateral so in theory, there should not be any asymmetry.

2.       Q: How do you know which parts to inject and what is the pain like? How much botox is actually used?

A: Doses are as per NICE guidelines for hyperhidrosis treatments.  As per answer 1, the needle is short and fine and doesn’t penetrate beneath the skin surface. Immediately after treatment you will have what looks like raised mosquito bites but these disappear within about 10 minutes of treatment at this point, you may reapply make up if you wish.

3.      Q:  if the sweating us successfully stopped from the head area would my body compensate and sweat more from other body parts, i.e. my underarms or back?

A: I am not aware of any “compensatory” sweating issues for other patients.

• Posted

Why not give Iontophoresis a try ?  Iontophoresis certainly does work on the head and scalp. Botox treatments are very expensive in  the long run as they must repeated regularly. An iontophoresis machine like the Idromed 5 PC is also pricey at first-  but you pay for it only  once -and they are built to last a lifetime. Besides if iontophoresis doen't work for you you can get your money back . There is an 8 week trial period in which if the treatment doen't work for you your money will be refunded.I would certainly recommend giving iontophoresis a chance before trying Botox or any other invasive therapy . What have you got to lose ?
    • Posted

How do you get it to work on scalp and face?  It seems to be applied by using patches, or putting the affected parts in water.

• Posted

I have tried both, Botox was done in both hands when I was about 18, it didnt work and was very painful. The doctor actually discharged me as soon as it was done and I was never even given a follow up appointment. I think this is meant to work best for underarms?

When I was 20 my dad bought me the iontophroses machine, it worked a little but not really and my feet just seemed to swell more. 

Last April I had ETS surgery and it has been amazing.. so far. I had two ops for my hands and they went well left is 100% dry right has a tiny bit of clammyness just on 2 of my fingers so overall a sucess although it is major surgery and not for everyone! I still sweat from my feet but have the option of having surgery again next year not sure I will though as it doesnt bother me as much as my hands did!

• Posted

I have this problem aswell, i went to a dermatoligist and he recommended medication called 'glycopyrollate' 3mg where i live in canada its not in pill form so i have to go to a place 30 mins away to get it made and it usually takes a day and it costs more becuase they have to make it but i dont really care bc anything to cure this right ?! Anyways to get to my point 3mg has worked for me and i only take it on days i work . It works by blocking the sweating glands so you dont sweat at all, they say its dangerous to play sports or work in the heat on it but, after getting used to side effects of minor dry mouth , minor stomach weirdness i guess, it was no problem for me as i work outside in middle of summer at a golf course and play baseball. Anyways i hope you look into this medication and more people aswell it was a lifesaver for me and it took me 2 years to find it!

• Posted

Hello

I tried iontophoesis five years ago and it worked for me . I've had HH  ( Palmar )since I can remember and was pretty skeptical at first  but was positevely elated when after two weeks of the therapy sessions with the Idromed 5 PC device  my palms were dry. I now do therapy once a week and that keeps my hands dry and allows me to shake hands with people without the embarassment of clammy wet hands .And the treatment  is painless.

• Posted

Hi Emis thank you for the link, I hope it works. I've suffered from CFHH since I was a teenager and I'm now 53. I've been researching forever and I'll try Anything to STOP sweating!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.