Bottled Water

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody .  I have been taking Alendronic Acid for a few months now with no ill effects.  I always do as it says on the information supplied and take with a full glass of tap water. 

A simple question,  can I use bottled water while on holiday or would it be better to not take the tablet that week?   

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I don't think it is specified what type of water is required - so any water would do, bottled or otherwise. If you're taking medication of this kind you really shouldn't stop it unless your doctor/pharmacist advises . . Have a great holiday. J
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying.  I have been told to use only tap water and not to take Alandronic Acid with mineral or spring water.  It also indicates this in the leaflet they comes with the tablets.   Not sure why but  I always do as I am told ..haha   

I was just wondering if other people found this a problem while away from home .   I expect as you say it is best to continue with the tablet.  

• Posted

Hi Pauline, that's very interesting. I have just checked the leaflet for the med. that I take that's very similiar to your own (Actonel) and it says ""swallow it with at least 120ml. of plain water". I took that to mean any water except fizzy stuff . . . . . Finally, if I were you, I'd ask my pharmacist about it.  He/she would be more than able to clarify this. Keep in touch. Kind regards, J
    • Posted

Hi J   I have just looked up your Actonel leaflet on the net .  It does say , take with plain water , but adds ( not mineral)  When I first was perscribe with Alendronic Acid they told me not to use mineral or spring water.  ??   I now think it is because some of the minerals in bottled water might interfere with the absorbtion.  Although I have just compared tap water to mineral water online and the contents are very very simler ?  So the plot thickens .   I will use bottled water on my holiday .  Are you in UK? I am. Sometimes advise differs in other countries.  All very interesting  :-)   in any case  its a horrible tablet to take  I miss having a mug of coffee first thing !  lol

Best Wishes , Pauline

• Posted

Hi again Pauline, still can't find on my leaflet where it says 'not mineral water' but I've been thinking about it. It's possible that mineral waters contain various minerals (!!) that may affect the absorbtion of the medication. I know that these meds. must be taken on an empty stomach because only a very small percentage of the med. itself is  absorbed by the stomach so anything else there (food, other compounds etc.)  may compete and render it less effective. . . Only guessing here.                        I live in Dublin, Ireland by the way.  I don't find it's too bad a medication to take. HOWEVER, I thoroughly agree with you about having to take it and then wait for the 30mins. before having the wonderful first coffee brew of the day. After taking the pill, I put on the timer in the kitchen and while it's ticking away I set up my coffee stuff - kettle filled, mug warmed up, ground coffee at the ready - and when the timer 'dings' I'm off !!!   Pathetic really! But really good coffee is one of life's greatest pleasures - at least for me. Kind regards, J
    • Posted

We all have our routines ..I take a shower in that half hour ,   seems to make the 30 minutes pass faster while I wait for the cafeine fix !    I drink far to much coffee but there are worse things   

I love Dublin .  I was born in Clones Monaghan.  Have a lot of family in different parts of Ireland.  Including Dublin.  

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your reasons for `not mineral ` water,  Glad we sorted that out ! hehe 

Take care , Pauline 

• Posted

I would first ask which country you are visiting. Spain's water is notorious for upsetting people and no one that I know of drinks tap water there so drink bottled water only in Spain.

There are too many places in the world to answer this question properly so just drink bottled water.

• Posted

I too am on this medication and understood it could not be taken at the same time as calcium. I have a house in Portugal and have a real difficuilt time tracking down water without calcium. As a general rule, if it says mineral water, it has a higher level of calcium. Managed to find a bottle of water with 1.2 mg per ltr and this was the best I could find. I too do as Im told. Had no ill effects but wish I could find out what is the best thing to do.
    • Posted

I wouldn't worry. A bottle of water with 1.2 mg calcium per litre seems a really low reading. Remember you're advised to take "at least" 120ml. with the tablet. So let's say you take 200ml. water, with 1.2mg calcium in it, the amount of calcium you're taking is 1.2 divided by 5 (can't find the 'divide' key!). Very small -  0.24. Hope that's correct. . . .
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I drink a lot of water. Just calculated, about 500 with the medication. I dont find this amount a problem and I am hoping this amount will lessen the side effects. So far so good. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi Pauline I know this post is old but I am hoping you will read, as I found your info very helpful for me and indeed readng all the comments.  I have just started taking alendronic acid for my osteoporosis (I am 62)..  I have only been on it for 4 weeks but I am glad I found out about plain water meaning tap water.I was drinkng Evian bottled water with it.  I too take more water than they say and I usually wait an hour before I eat breakfast.   Good point about having a shower.  I use to just sit there and watch the clock. I love my cup of tea furst thing.

Thank you to all who posted here.  It is nice to find some people who are taking this as well and how you are all getting on since I would love to know if any side effects to expect.

• Posted

Hi Zukisox. Glad this forum has helped you. I have changed Alandronic acid for ibondronic acid which I just take monthly instead of weekly, same procedure, plain water, wait an hour. I found Alandronic caused me to have a lot more bone ache and a general feeling of tiredness and down in my mood. My doc said try ibandronic , after having tried two others I must add , and they seem to be fine yaaa! Still get aches and pains a lot , at 65 I guess that is inevitable.

I hope you get on ok but if not don't give up just have a word with doc/ nurse .

Best wishes Pauline

• Posted

I take risedronate with my filtered tap water in the UK but when I am in Portugal, I buy bottled water and it is amazing how high some calcium levels are in different brands. Found one there that is lower than the rest and its cheap and easy to come by. I do my ironing. Save it up all week and put on the golden oldies chanel on TV. this helps pass the time and keeps me upright. Had no problems with the meds and t-score greatly improved since I contributed to this post 2years ago
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

I take risedronate myself normally with tap water when I’m in uk but now as I’m in srilanka I’m thinking of bottled water but it’s calcium is 15.6 mg per litre but that was a 500 mg bottle that showed that %. Can you please help with what to do.

Many thanks 

• Posted

Hi. I was the same, living in 2 different countries. Tap water was fine in one, but the other had a very high calcium content in the tap water. However, the bottled water varied enormously. Some very high, some almost non existant in their calcium content. I just read the lables of every bottle of water I came across and when I discovered one that was 0.04 I think it was, I asked the waiter where the bottle water was purchased. I was very surprised to find it was from a well known supermarket ( German ) and was easily found in both countries. You may not have this supermarket, where you are, but I am certain, if you read a lot if labels, you will find the one with the lowest calcium content. Good luck.
    • Posted

With risedronate what should be the amount of calcium that should be ok? For 120 ml of water? And thank you so much for replying to the question I initially asked you smile
    • Posted

Bottled water have huge differences in all mineral levels. Some have as much as 190mg per litre. I also found a big supermarket in the UK sells the same bottle but, in Ireland it has 36mg per litre, in Scotland its 18mg and their value bottle is 64mg per litre. I see juno has done the maths for you and I can only add to try and find the lowest you can in the area you live. Good luck with your hunt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.