Bowel habits after bowel cancer surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband had keyhole surgery for removal of cancerous colon tumour in Oct. 2011. Twelve inches of his bowel was removed, no colostomy or chemotherapy required. Since the operation his bowel motions are very, very loose. The motion can start off with some semi formed stools but he has to go back to the toilet as it comes away as what we call a 'blow out 'of diarrohea. The G. P. prescibed Loperamide 2mg. anti diarrohea tabs which he hasn't up to now taken regularly only when he has diarrohea which is 2 to 3 times a week as we thought they may make him constipated. Has anyone who has experienced similar any advice with diet or otherwise to help. My husband had a 12month C.T. scan in September this year which was O.K. and doesn't see the consultant again until March 2013.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, not sure if this is any help but my friend has had this same operation only recently and has exactly the same problems. Apparently they are common and can last quite a while but eventually settle down to some degree but bowel habits never return to the same way as they were pre op.Anyway this friend of mine tried cutting gluten from her diet for a while and she had a great improvement in her symptoms. Maybe this could be worth trying.

Good luck to your husband!

• Posted

Thank You for your reply charisma. I got in touch with the bowel cancer advisory service via telephone.

The person I spoke to was very helpful. She has a lot of knowledge of bowel problems. She advised for my husband to take the anti- diarrohea tablets immodium [Loperamide 2mg.] regularly instead of taking them just when he had had a 'blow out of diarrohea'. He now takes 1 tablet every morning which has resulted in formed stools, no explosions! These tablets had been prescibed by the G. P. so my husband gets them on presciption. He was also advised to keep a chart of bowel habits along with when he took the tablets. This weekend he didn't take the tablets Saturday & Sunday morning so to reduce the risk ot constipation otherwise he has taken the tabs. for 3 weeks now and things are so much better which has of course made him more confident. The Loperamide tablets are very safe to take and work by slowing down the passage of waste through the colon. It is worth your friend giving them a try.

• Posted

Hi Plecky,

I am waiting for my diagnosis my symptoms are same as your hubby who i hope is feeling better

after his op,

I am taking same med also i have found Manuka honey plus 12 to be a great help and a great healer

• Posted

Hi I too had two and a half feet removed from the right side of my bowel. I also have the same issues with my poo. My op was in November 2013 recently I have started cutting out gluten and cut down on dairy. It does seem to be helping it might be worth trying. Good luck and good health 🌻🌻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.