BP medicine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please Please Please someone tell me they have experienced themselves or through someone else my question. I am a 57 year old male. Pretty darn good shape. Eat properly, exercise, take supplements etc. I have been off and on BP (metropolol) through the VA for a few years. However, out of denial or believing I could correct it by lifestyle I have stopped taking them before and/or lowered the ng lvl I was taking to see I still needed them. Headaches appeared and I went back on and off again. I started with 25 ng and now am up to 100ng daily because my Doctor kept inching up my ng level based on my readings. The last couple months I have had headaches constantly. All day except when I am sleeping which I don't do very well. I guess I try to self medicate and be my own Doctor alot. I thought I was taking to much and then not enough. I have a BP digital monitor which I use at different points of the day to see if any fluctuation exists. I have not seen 120/80 ever. 170/126 is probably the best numbers I an remember. I know if I cold turkey quit after a week or two I begin a headhache. But what happens if I take too much or too little metroplol?  Does too little or too much BP medicine cause headaches. By the afternoon I am sitting in my office in what feels like my eyes are sitting back in my head and I am in a tunnel. Eyes are red too. I also take zyrtex for allergies at night before I go to bed. The afternoon when I get am in my office seems to be the worst time of day. At night when I go home it seems to ease up even disappear. I thought initially it was my office or air circulation? Or, the weather and recent flu and cold that won't go away this time of year that everyone I know has. I don't know, desparation I guess so I look at everything. Any thought please? Thanks, Dave

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should accept that you need medicine. The question is how much. And which medicine . Keep up your healthy life style and keep monitoring your blood pressure . A low salt Mediterranean diet might be helpful
  • Posted

Metoprolol is primarily a beta blocker. It affects your heart and circulation and is used to treat angina and hypertension. The normal dose is 100 to 450 mg per day for hypertension.

My guess is you are feeling so miserable due to your high diastolic reading. 127 is very high. In fact, and I don't want to scare you, it indicates a hypertensive crisis and puts you in the highest risk category for a heart attack or stroke.

My suggestion would be to seek urgent help from an internist or a cardiologist. You might be better served by taking an ACE, a calcium channel blocker and a light beta blocker. And possibly (if needed) a diuretic.

Also, ask your internist to check if there is not something else such as a pheochromocytoma that causes your high blood pressure. I am not saying that this is the case. But it is worth checking.

The Zyrtec and Metoprolol normally do not affect each other.

Hope you get help and answers soon. Being ill and feeling under the weather is not nice. Don't be scared about your situation, just take control of it and get yourself the best medical help possible. Not worth waiting and trying to ride it out and feeling miserable and worry all the time.

Good luck.

• Posted

Metoprolol is a beta blocker and you should be weened off of it, please do not just stop taking it or you can have rebound hypertension .. also this time of year (January) plays havoc with blood pressure because we do not get enough sunlight..a blood test will tell if you are low on Vitamin D, which will elevate your BP...  please get that checked.. blood pressure issues vary with the seasons, something that most folks don't take into consideration...I wish you good health

• Posted

I took ternolol 50mg in the past... two pills... which means 100mg... already blow my head. And nausious feeling. Then I switch to herbs treatment and change my lifestyle to go on vegan, no meat with wheat and etc. Exercise regularly and it has lowered and now maintained. You should have a balance lifestyel. 
  • Posted

Are you sure the headaches are a symptom of high BP I would suggest that its possible a lot of symptoms could be down to stress worrying about your BP I am talking from experience my BP was checked at a routine appt about 4 years ago and was slightly high .I was put on meds being gradually increased as my BP would not come down to what they consider normal.Eventually i was put on Amlodapine which did bring down my BP but made me really ill I became fixated about taking my BP 4 or 5 times a day and if it was high i would then worry i was going to have a stroke.I have now stopped all meds and take my BP when i remember. it is above what is considered the norm but the meds did not bring it down and they made me ill .I am not suggesting anyone stops meds it was my decision and i have learnt to stop worrying and get on with life .As a footnote the gp thought i was daft to stop meds but the last two appts i have attended my BP has been normal (work that one out)wink

• Posted

I'm glad you posted this nellybear.. I too disgarded my meds for 8 years for exactly the same reasons.. medical people are surrounded by unwell people day in and day out so to them they view everyone as sick.. Last year I went to the doctor for an ankle problem and now days they put you in the hospital when you bp is high.. so they did and the doctors kept me overnight to monitor me, they couldn't understand how I was walking around with bp that high.. Dismissed me the next day and was told to find a doctor, my life has been a nightmare since.. so many incompetitents out there and they never tell you bp goes up in the winter... I'm disgusted with the medical profession

• Posted

Hi Dave

I am in a similar boat 54 yrs old, healthy, go to the gym reg. but have familial HBP I have not had good results from any of the drugs they have put me on, the least side effects for me was from Hydrochlorizide, I also tried many natural remedies and the only one I found to make a noted difference is Hibicus tea which is used in many countries to lower blood pressure. I drink 3-4 cups throughout the day hot or cold and you can mix it with juice or something sweet as well, easy to do. Between that and 1 - 25mg of the hydro daily I am able to keep myself at an average reading of 135/85 and I'm suffering NO side effects. Of course not everything works for everyone so the best advice I could offer would be to start with the Hibiscus tea for a couple days, check your blood pressure and slowly wean down from your meds if you are seeing positive results, with the help and consultation of your doctor you may be able to get onto a low dosage of meds and the tea and suffer much less side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.