BP monitor - Ramipril

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my BP has been high for a while now. Am under the hospital for SVT the hospital doc has requested a 24hr BP monitor and 7 day event for heart but a monitor not available until end June. My GP does not want to wait and has put me on Ramipril. Is there any mileage in still doing the 24hr monitor?

TIA

Debs

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a 24 hr Monitor from the doctors. I find it hard to believe that they don't have one available 'til June!

The damn thing drove me daft and I took it off at about 1AM when it kept waking me.

We have since bought our own monitior and check our own BP from time to time. No 'white coat syndrome'. Always a good thing to have whether you are on Ramipril or not.

• Posted

Thanks Bobbygirl it's a poor show when I can't get one until end June but onwards and upwards eh
  • Posted

Hi Freestork

your GP wants to check if you have any other identifiable heart problems such as Atrial fibrillation. There is always a wait for the holter monitor and your GPjust wants to try to lower yourBP with RAMIPRIL anyway. This sems  to be standard practice and sensible to me.

• Posted

Thanks Reginald I was diagnosed with SVT 5 years ago and have been fine up until a few months ago. I have been suffering frequent episodes hence tests
  • Posted

My dose of Ramipril was 2.5mg/24hr. This was then increased to 5.0 mg. I'm aware that my BP is still too high. I suspect dose will be increased again to 10.0 mg.
  • Posted

Hi Freestork

Like all the other responses, it is advisable to have the 24 hour blood monitor check as it does give a fairly good indication of what's going on with your BP. It is a bit uncomfortable and I tended to get a really high spike in my readings (I suspect White Coat Syndrome), but outside the surgery. Also the cuff gave me a skin burn, because if the hourlly readings.

Subsequently I was put on Ramipril 2.5mg but after a few days developed the horrible cough that many forum users report. It is like a dry patch at the back of you throat that irritates and makes you cough day and night. I hope you don't experience this, but if so gi back to GP and ask for a change of meds. I am on Candesartan, 8.5mg, which has kept my pressure stable.

Good luck with getting a monitor, I didn't realise there is sometimes a wait for this equipment! If you have a practice patient group PPG, you could raise the issue with them about increasing equipment. Good luck.

• Posted

I think you have a point.

I think GPs are too eager to start medication without any supporting tests for a diagnosis.

​Also a 24hr BP monitor will only test your body's brachial blood pressures on Ramipril whilst being woken up every hour during the night.

​Then there will be the daytime figures but will they add up?

​It depends on the formula that the GP uses to work out which dose of what you need to meet the national target based on WHO guidelines.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.