BPD and Bipolar?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with BPD, but somehow it does not seem to 'fit', or tell the whole story and I wonder whether it is possible for Bipolar to be masked by another diagnosis. I understand sometimes it can work out the other way around, in that someone is diagnosed with Bipolar when actually they have a personality disorder. I think in my case the opposite is true, or I have both, is that possible?

I also have reaccuring bouts of depression and take both anti-depressants and two types of anti-psychotics and really struggle to put my finger on what is wrong. Something so clearly is not right, yet the current diagnosis somewhow don't seem to fully fit symptoms. I have lows, which repeat at rate of 5:1 and the highs are not that high, as in I haven't ever been so manic, that I would have completly lost touch with reality. I also experience psychotic symptoms, but these have not been tought to warrant a fully blown psychotic episode label. I'm thorougly lost and feel that I'm not getting the most effective care, due to only partial diagnosis. Any advice? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Only a professional can answer your questions I'm

Afraid . I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. Hope that helps answer part of the question.

• Posted

You would have been tested to work out your disability. All I can suggest is talk to your GP and ask for an explanation of your condition.

I suffer a Reactive Depression with Mania and deending what I am doing I seem to knock doors out of windows, the problem I have is when I drop down to low mood it is like I cannot put the windows back and get flustrated.

Talk to your GP, and get His explanation.

B.

• Posted

Anything is possible,but best to not self diagnose, of you've been given a diagnosis then be thankful of that, many people struggle to get a diagnosis at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.