BPD and medications. What works?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had BPD probably all my adult life but was only diagnised 10years ago at age 48. Before that I was treated for major depression and anxiety.

I have tried almost every antidepressant without much success but could not function without Quietepine. I'm now on 1300mg per day- mostly at night. That used to work really well but not so good lately. I'm lucky to stay asleep for any longer than 2hrs at a time. Sleeping pills don't help either. I've also had talk and other therapies for the last 20 years.

I'm feeling so unwell now though that I have totally isolated myself, I can't work and my relationships have all deteriorated. Plus my mother is in the last stages of a 13yr battle with Altzheimers.

Does anyone know of any medications that work other than Quuetopine? At 58 I have all but given up hope of getting any pleasure in life and quite seriously consider suicude but I can't do that to the few people who would be affected.

I'm getting worse and feel totally hopeless. Some relief would be amazing.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, it sound like you have got alot on your plate at the moment, I have real0 empathy for you with regards to the situation with you Mother and know that with BPD plus the wrong meds, things seem unescapable. Im also on Quietepine along with Pregabalin, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine which I have been quite comfortable on for a few months now, but different meds work for different people. I now feel in control, (for the time being). Please understand that anyone dealing with the difficult issues that you have is going to be affected, so note that you are doing very well considering your BPD. Suicide is not the right thing to do, and I think you know that. Dealing with someone in your family with Altzheimers is heart breaking, it's not wrong to feel upset or sad about this, you wouldnt be a decent Humanbeing if you didn't. Locking yourself away is going to feed your anxiety and depression further. Has your Dr made any sugestions about further meds or put you intouch with other services? You have alot on your shoulders, and this must be very stressful. Maybe you could take a step back, pin point and write a list of all things you want to tackle, and address them one by one. Things can be more managable, it can't rain all the time. Hope you find the answers you need. Al 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your caring and kind response Al. I’ll certainly talk to my psych about the meds you’ve mentioned – maybe one or 2 might help me J Do you have a BPD diagnosis?

i'm new to online health discussions and there's an awful lot more to my situation than I’ve told. I’m sure that’s the same for many contributors.

I’m just so over feeling faulty, typecast and marginalized. I second-guess pretty much all of the interactions I have and that just makes the depression, self-loathing and anxiety so much worse. When something does go wrong it’s all my fault and I end up isolated and alone.

And BPD is not an easy diagnosis to share. People don’t understand it and the word ‘borderline’ is so misleading to a lay person, even to a lot of mental health clinicians. I’ve had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist to treat me because they don’t want what they think will be difficult relationship. And perhaps it is a difficult patient to have but to me they’re copping out. Why enter the medical profession and in particular psychiatry if you’re not up for the challenges that go with the territory?

But most importantly I’m losing hope about ever feeling better or being able to manage my life or feeling any sense of inner peace and acceptance. I’ve spent 20 years in intensive therapy of one kind or another, and BPD has taken its toll big-time. It’s claimed my marriage, my relationships with my daughters, close friendships, my career, financial security, and it almost took my life several times. And it just keeps going on and on and on….

I’m just too old to be still fighting this fight. I’m exhausted by it and don’t seem to be gaining any ground. I just want to stay in bed now but I have to keep up with some things, most of all my mother who lives about 1000 kms away from me.

Anyway, I will try what you’ve suggested. Thanks again.

If anyone reading this is over 50 and still struggling with BPD like me I’d be interested to hear your thoughts and how you keep going on. What’s helped you etc.

Thank you!

Sarah

• Posted

Hi sarah.. I'm in sort of same situation. .Iv been diagnosed 3yrs ago pdr bt also was treated for the same you were.. I tried quetiapine. .it made feel ok but the weight was a problem.. Iv been on lithium now for 2 1/2yrs it works very well with the stable moods bt I still need anti dep.. that's where the problem is.. Iv also isolated myself from having friends and hardly any family. Sirtraline was good for a few years.. mirtazapine was amazing for a few weeks I actually seen a future just a shame it didn't last the side effects were so bad. I'm now on venlafaxine 225mg & 1000mg lithium I feel the damage mirt has done it's not letting the venlafaxine work. I'm so low .. Iv heard citrolpram is good with lithium. .bt my pdr says I cnt have it they dnt have much use for it here. Mostly likely expensive. I have a 3yr old she nos this .. I'm just not good either ??

• Posted

oh dear..at least I'm past having dependent children and only have myself to deal,with. And my dog, who keeps me here a lot of the time. I'm seeing my dr tomorrow and will ask about all the different meds suggested. she has talked about lithium. does that put on weight? i need help so badly but can't afford to get private drs so i only see psych every 2 mths or so.

BPD is such an invasive illness. I just feel bad about myself all the time.

Sorry I have no ideas for you to try, exc for amitryptiline which is good but i cldn't hack the side effects. maybe it wld work for you??

Thanks for getting in touch. hope you feel better soon. sarah

• Posted

It's very hard having a 3 yr old also on my own.. I'm 43 & absolutely warn out I'm goin through the stage were I cnt look after myself again like iv given up & yes I hate myself so much that's been with me since a child ..

lithium puts weight on at 1st because of the change of chemicals in your body but if u drink 2 litres of water aday it helps.. with lithium you have to have blood tests every 3months. I see my pdr every 3months NHS but after the last appointment where I was crying I was in such a state sayin I just want to die .. that was in march she's made my nxt app for November ..I don't understand.. is she hoping I will be dead that's all I can think .. good luck for your app tomorrow I will loom out for u on here x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.