Brain surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

saw surgeon yesterday and he told me I would need surgery to remove the part of the brain that has gone down the hole! (Sorry not very good with medical terms). Has anyone else had this done? He says there is no other option and that it would need doing urgently (within four weeks).

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told my my NS that this could happen . But I don't know of anyone who has had the surgery .

Please keep us posted how things go very best of luck

• Posted

Hi,

Same things said to me by my NS. Still awaiting if anyone has had it done.

All the best guys & Dolls. Keep us updated with any new developments.

• Posted

Allison. My best advice to you is to make sure the surgeon you choose has done this surgery before, with good outcomes. Ask a lot of questions

God bless I'm praying you have surgery that will help you so very much!

• Posted

The op consists of making more room for the brain hernie allowing the CSFluid to flow from the spinal column to the skull, perhaps removal of some bits of  spinal disks. There could be cauterisation to stop the hernia growing anyfurther, but the brain is by and large is left alone.
    • Posted

decompression is creating room for the hernias to allow CSF to pass thruogh, this is the standard surgery for Chiari Malformation.
  • Posted

I had surgery December 6th and they removed bone/disc and thinned the lining that holds the brains which most say opening the dura (my surgeon didn't open it he just thinned it some) but never touched the brains so to speak. I can tell you that I got the stiches out on Dec 21 and after that I felt no pain. I was out shopping like 7-10 days after surgery and I feel amazing. I haven't had any complications or symptoms since. Do lots of research. I would definitely do it all over again. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

He didn't talk about removing any part of the skull, shaving things he said that part of the brain needed to come out?

• Posted

I've never heard of that. I mean I'm sure he's done it before if he recommended it. Maybe ask him the name of the procedure and do some research on google. Perhaps if yours are descended really far down it may be necessary. Not sure. Mine sat appx. 8 mm. I'm sure it will all work out for you. Just ask lots of questions and do as much research so you feel confident in whatever decision you make. Maybe even get a second opinion just for peace of mind.

• Posted

I agree with you I've never heard of removing part of the brain, search the net but nothing on that. The only time the brain is touched is with Cauterisation to stop it growing any further, not done very often. That part of the brain controls a lot of physical uses of the body so removing any part of that could have serious consequences.

• Posted

My surgeon told me that the part of the brain which is going down the 'hole' has no use?

• Posted

It is so far down that the only option he said was to remove it
    • Posted

The herniated part of my brain was removed The dura was opened giving my dr access to the tonsilar ectopia the part of the brain called the tonsils or herniation. This part was removed. It is a standard surgery called

"Posterior fossa decompression". I only wish I'd had it done before chiari caused me to progress to Syringomyelia

• Posted

Where was this done?

"A posterior fossa decompression is a surgical procedure performed to remove the bone at the back of the skull and spine. The dura overlying the tonsils is opened and a patch is sewn to expand the space, similar to letting out the waistband on a pair of pants. " Mayfield Chiari.

It is the bone that is removed not part of the brain.

• Posted

He has never mentioned decompression at all? Did they say that to you when you had your consultation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.