Brand new to Addisons Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am going for the blood work tomm but have all the symptoms of Addison. What was the best advice you received when you first found out?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Make sure you eat well balanced diet which contain all nutrients, minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium etc. Prolonged nutrients defeciencies can itself start to show symptoms of many diseases. Doctors usually not pick these and up and need to find out self and supplement if not on optimal range. First thing to consider is if calcium is getting in adequate dose daily with sufficienct magnesium, vitamin d. Then check for thyroid, adrenal problems etc.
  • Posted

Hi Geraldine

The best advice I can pass on is listen to your body, no one else has your individual symptoms nor problems, rest or sleep especially when it tells you... get retest if it tells you you feel you need more drugs etc

Don't get bogged down and worried about numbers of tests either...these are microscopic amounts...and after a few months will settle down into normal everyday language..

Good health from now you have a diagnosis to build your life back onto. 😀

pj x

• Posted

I was living in.the UK at the time, January 1993. After 18 months of getting weaker and weaker and countless symptoms reported to my doctor, I went to the doctor to request that I be hospitalized. The room was spinning every day, I grew weaker and vomiting nearly every day.

I went to my appointment and my doctor was on vacation/holiday. A locum, cover doctor, took the appointment.

I told the doctor my symptoms and my request.

Within 5 minutes he looked at me, actually excited, he said Oh I know what's wrong with you! When you turn over your hands the lines will brown.

Sure enough, I turned over my hands and the lines were brown. He stated you have Addison's Disease!

You know, President Kennedy had Addison's Disease, but don't worry that's not what killed him. That's true

British humor!

If my doctor was not on vacation I would of died within a couple of months.

Moral: if your doctor keeps going down the same road as mine did back then, he thought it would resolve itself and it was the remainder of my Thyroid dying off, then run!

Don't walk, run and find another doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.